Beretta Model 21A Disassembly Problem

RanchHand

Inactive
I am having problems lifting the slide from the frame, following the directions. Remove magazine, push barrel lever forward, swing barrel completely forward, cock hammer (safety off), retract slide 1/8". But the front end of the slide will not lift far enough to clear the frame's barrel hinge, preventing the barrel moving forward and off the frame. I have applied a fair amount of force without trying to hamfist it and break something (I'm actually somewhat well known for that around these parts). Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Memory Back

Give it a bit of a tug. Those parts fit tight at first. After a few disassemblies / reassemblies it will get easier. It will take a bit of pressure to get the slide seated properly on reassembly.

The beretta 21a has an ejector held on by a split pin through the frame.
It is not uncommon for the pin to work part ways out, and prevent the slide from coming off.
If this happens, you need to take off the grips, shine a bight flashlight up at the bottom sides of the slide, and try to see the pin sticking out. If you see it, try pushing the pin back in with a thin tool like a penknife blade of tiny screwdriver.
Look at a parts schematic to locate where the pin is at.

Thanks for al of the replies. Sorry, I made an error in my OP. I meant "preventing the slide from moving forward" not barrel. The youtube vid shows exactly what I am attempting but the front of the slide moves up only about 3/8". I have applied about 15 lbs. steady pressure.

Got it amd6547. That has to be the problem! I knew I shoudn't try to muscle it any more. You guys are great with the quick replies and good advice. Thanks so much.

amd6547 Thank you for posting this info. I ran into the same problem with a 21A that I picked up recently. It took me a few minutes to see where the pin sticks out, but problem now solved.

Back