Beretta M9 22 with 15 mag

Prof Young

Over the years I have owned many 22LR semi auto handguns. Most I've shot and then passed on as I wasn't happy or the "fun" was gone. I did keep my Buckmark Contour 7.25 and I have a Heritage single six that I use to teach the kids to shoot. So I've been looking for yet another 22 cal handgun. Something that would be a good range gun to practice trigger control, grip etc. Have settled on the Beretta M9 22 with a 15 round mag. Couldn't find a lot of user reviews even on this forum but youtube and other kinds of reviews suggest it's a decent if not great gun. So we'll see. Should be in on Friday. Find that I'm really looking forward to this one.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Does 22lrconversions.com still make Beretta 92 .22lr conversion kits?

I recall the owner had a run in with the law a few years back, but I believe the charges got dropped and he has been back in business since. It's been some time since I looked into picking one up but I may have to revisit the idea.

Love the M9/92 platform and could always use a new plinker...

Let us know what you think when you get some rounds downrange!

Shot the M9 today!

Picked up the M9 today. It is exactly like the 92FS. Exact same dimensions. Safety - decocker, mag release etc all the same. The 92fs weighs about five more ounces then the M9. It came with one 15 round mag, a cable lock and two front sights. The taller of the two front sights was installed, and given that I tend to shoot low and left I will put in shorter sight before next trip to the range. Using five different types of ammo I shot 135 rounds total. I had one fail to feed with the Blazer ammo, but that was the only hiccup. My best group of 15 rounds was about 4x4 a bit low and left of point of aim. I'm guessing the gun will shoot as well as I shoot. I shot my 92fs along side and the groups were a little tighter. Shot my Buckmark Contour 7.25 as well and the groups were much tighter. All this shooting was at 7 yards and not off any kind of rest. I paid just under 400 before taxes. See picture below. I think this will become a favorite range gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• Beretta.JPG
    Beretta.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 53
I just got mine on Thursday and tried it out yesterday. I wrote a review on Sportsman’s Guide: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...omatic-49-barrel-rimfire-151-rounds?a=2238155

Like a lot of people, I decided to add a full sized .22 LR pistol due to the price and scarcity of centerfire ammo. I have dedicated .22 LR target pistols including a Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark IIi Hunter, but I wanted a combat type pistol that I could practice with at the tactical range. The fact that 15 round mags are available is a huge plus (something Glock should pay attention to with their Glock 44).

My overall impression of this gun is very favorable, especially for $350. It is a very good copy of the Beretta M9/92 and the lighter weight is the biggest difference. The takedown lever and safety are located in the same places and function the same as the M9/92. I know some have concerns that the gun is made by Umarex rather than Beretta, but the gun is very well made and feels like a quality firearm.

I decided to set the bar nice and high for my first time shooting the gun. It was wet and rainy at the range yesterday so we had the steel plate set up at the way at the back of the range (over 40 yards). The tall 3 dot sights were easy to pick up and I was rewarded with a nice “ping” on my first shot (and most of my shots). If I did my part, they gun did it’s part.

The double action trigger is a bit heavy and long for good accuracy, but is smooth and manageable. The single action trigger is light and crisp, with a nice reset. I haven’t fired a Beretta 92 in a long time, but I don’t remember the single action trigger being as good as this M9-22. Since it is a .22 LR, recoil is obviously soft, but surprisingly smooth as well. Since there is quite a bit of slide travel, the spring can be a bit lighter. There were no failures whatsoever with the CCI standard velocity .22 LR ammo I brought. I am not sure why there is a mag loader for this gun since I was able to stuff 15 rounds into it fairly easily. I ordered a few extra mags and was able to find them for a little under $30 a piece (the gun only comes with 1 mag).

Overall, I am very pleased with this gun. It is very accurate and has a great trigger. For anyone who has a fair amount of .22 LR and wants to conserve their centerfire ammo, the Beretta (Umarex) M9-22 is a great choice. If you are a die hard Glock person and have a Glock 19, you might want to stick with the Glock 44. You can use the same holsters and the gun will feel almost the same. If not, you should seriously consider the Beretta M9-22. I highly doubt that you would be disappointed. The only thing I wish is that they included an extra mag, even if they had to raise the price slightly.

T. O'Heir said:
OP is 2 years old.
The original thread may be two years old, but one of the major gun sellers (CDNN, maybe?) was advertising them very recently. I got an ad for the Beretta M9-22 in an e-mail blast about a week ago. It doesn't interest me, but I forwarded it to a veteran who carried the M9 in the sandbox and who bought a Beretta for home defense because of his familiarity with the gun. I thought he might be interested in a matching .22 -- and he was (although I don't know if he bought one).

A current range report on a currently available firearm isn't out of place.

@T. O'Heir,

I saw the notification that the post was two years old, but with the (centerfire) ammo shortage, I believe a lot of us are turning to rimfire to save on ammo while being able to still shoot. I see 9mm going for $1 a round on gunbroker.com, which is pretty absurd to me. I have a decent supply, but I don't know when ammo will be plentiful again or when pricing will come down. I also haven't seen this gun until recently so maybe it was re-released.

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least since I know the gun is made by Umarex. It is very accurate and has a very nice single action trigger. For $350, I'd say it was money very well spent.

Back