Beretta bent spring.. help

Elliottsdad

My Beretta APX isn't my favorite pistol ever, but it is comfortable and reliable. I wanted to buy a grey grip frame for it, but before that I wanted to try my hand at removing the serialized chassis. Boy was that a mistake.
It came out easily enough, though not nearly as easy as the Sig P320. My problem occurred when reinstalling the chassis into its frame. I lined it up, pressed down and felt a "squish." I pulled it out to see what happened, and sure enough, the cocking lever spring had fallen under the chassis during reinsertion, and was smashed against the interior of the frame.
After much cursing, I used needle nose pliers and tried my best to bend it back into its original hook shape before hooking it back over the rear frame pin.
Ever since this happened, the pistol functions, but the trigger pull feels very strange. It was never A+ to begin with, but now its super squishy.
What steps would you take with this? I've heard Beretta isn't amazing to deal with as far as these things go. How much would a decent gunsmith charge for taking a look at this and/or reshaping/replacing the spring? This pistol is getting really cheap for street price, and I don't want to sink $100 or anything into this spring issue.
Thanks!

I am sure Beretta will send you a replacement. If not you can get one through Midwest. Actually they are very easy to change out. Just like the Nano and the Pico. The cocking arm, before insertion has a pin that lines up from the opposite side. There are a number of video's that show how to do this. Once you have done it once, the rest of the times are easy. Just be sure that when you remove the chassis, you do not lose the cocking pin at the bottom of the grip. Very small and easy to loose if you forget about it.
I love the modular grip. These guns have very few parts (43) and make cleaning the trigger components so easy. And if necessary replace a part. After my Nano reached 10,000 rounds, I dissembled the gun entirely and cleaned and replaced small springs. And trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

But do not feel bad. When I first received my Pico, I later changed grips. And had a problem with the trigger. Called Beretta, and they had great customer service. Right away sent me a label. And they returned it withing a week RIGHT TO MY DOOR STEP.
Turned out that there was nothing wrong with the gun, I just had inserted it wrong.

Siince then I have changed out the grips between the guns many times. I like to buy grips and do my own stippling on them. Or just change colors, or to just put everything in a Sonic cleaner.
Good luck, either buy the part or call Beretta. Personally I would just buy the part and learn how to do it. If you have a problem, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Carl, you're making me feel confident that this is something I can do myself. I ordered the spring from Midwest. Sent you a PM with a quick question. Thanks!

Back