Beretta A400 range report

lockedcj7

So I pulled the trigger and ordered an A400 from my LGS. I got a chance to handle the Unico and the Xcel and liked them well enough to order the Xplor in 12 ga. I picked it up a few days ago but just got a chance to shoot it today.

Initial impressions are what one would expect. The fit and finish is superb and it functioned 100% through 50+ rounds of promo 1 1/8 oz dove loads. The only hiccup happened when I failed to insert a round far enough into the magazine and ended up with a double feed. It was easy to clear though given the slot in the lifter. After adding more drop at comb by changing out the stock spacers, it gave me the sight picture that I'm used to and I hit with it just as well as with my old 11-87. I even surprised myself by hitting a few target further out than usual.

I alternated between it and the Remington for a few rounds and I can't tell much of a difference in recoil. The 11-87 is heavier and the Beretta has the Kick-off system. Both have good recoil pads now that I've put a Limbsaver AirTech pad on the Remington. They are different but both are soft-shooting and neither slaps my cheek.

Criticisms:
I don't love the "enhanced" grain on the stock and the wood looks, and feels, porous. It reminds me of the fake wood stock on the crossman pellet gun I had as a kid. Very plasticky and fake looking.

Why does it come with two fairly useless chokes? Mine came with a no-steel full and a cyl along with the modified. Maybe they figure that you can do everything with those 3? I would have preferred SK and IC since the vast majority of my shooting is with IC.

It's too early to say if it will replace the 11-87 entirely but it's looking likely, especially with the right choke and more trigger time.

WHICH Xplor did you get? The Gold receiver, green receiver, or??
I have the blue smurf gun (Xcel) and the green Xplor (Unico) I use either Howard's or Johnson's paste wax on the wood finish. Mine cam with IC, M, IM, but I also have some Briley and Trulock aftermarket chokes. When I shoot I carry three - one for close, one for most, and one for far. You might take a look at Trulock's Light Modified (some folks insist on calling it Skeet II) which is .015 - in between IC and M; great all around choke

I got the "Action" which is the gold receiver. I didn't realize that Xplor was the name for all of the variations. I'm trying to join a club that has sporting clays and skeet later this month and my intent is to shoot more and shoot more often.

Being as that is a field gun at 7#, hopefully you have the Kick-Off or are shooting light target loads as in slow 1oz or light 7/8. I reload and shoot 3/4oz loads in both of mine - 28 gauge levels with 12 gauge weight means light shooting all day. Not even the Benellis handle loads that light

I planned on buying the A400 with the nice walnut stock. Last year I couldn't find an A400 anywhere so I ended up with the A300 extrema in max5. I havent been so pleased with a shotgun since I was 12 and my dad bought me my first 20g wingmaster. It has handled everything from the lightest target loads I could find to the heavy duck and turkey 3-1/2. I had to shoot about 50-60 medium loads before everything smoothed out and functioned properly with the light loads. I have to add that I almost can't miss with this gun. Doubles and even triples burst every time.
Good luck with your a400. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Back