Beretta 96?

HighGround

Inactive
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the beretta 96D or 96FS. Is it a reliable and accurate pistol? Does it have a chrome lined barrel? What are it's pro's and con's? Thanks.

Its been awhile since I had one but it was a very good pistol. I had it back in late '94 and it did come with two 11rd. mags. It was pretty accurate from what I remeber of it. Its just been so long ago. It was a FS model btw.

I have an Italian 96fs and a 96G Elite. Both are extremely reliable, my FS has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger, and it's closing in on 10K rounds. When my Elite was new, it would only work well with full power loads, as it was a little tight. Since the break in, it's been flawless with everything I've fed it. The blued barrels are chrome lined, the stainless ones aren't (BTW, the only blued parts on this gun are the barrel and grip screws). My Elite is very accurate, with the right load, I can get 25yd groups just under 1.5" off of sandbags. the Beretta is a very large pistol. If you have small hands that is definately a con, for me is is a pro. The standard slide is not as good at controlling the recoil of the 40 s&w as the heavy slide of the Boarder Marshal/Elite models, and I've heard the recoil of the Centurian can be harsh. All around it's a great pistol.

took in a 96fs as part of a loan default. never had a bobble in about 1K rounds.

likes: open slide, easier to clear stoppages; straight recoiling barrel; spring-loaded safety; smooth trigger pull; no need to pay for high-cap mags (for 1 more round, you gotta be kidding), very accurate.

dislikes: big gun, not very "summer friendly"; long trigger reach; fixed front sight, i would but somthing with a dovetailed front sigt and the heavier slide.

A Beretta .40 DAO is the issued gun that I have to carry on duty or off. It is accurate and it is very reliable even when it gets dirty. But its draw backs are a trigger pull a mile long and when I carry concealed I have to layer clothing and "dress around" the gun.

Back