Beretta 92fs- what is the difference between the italian and usa version?

dw

I read through dudes post and have a few questions. First, what is the difference between the italian and usa version? what is the difference in price? Are they dao or sa? Just wondering i am considering buying one. I want a 9mm that is accurate and reliable. I saw a SS italian 92fs for $650. is that a good price? Thanks in advance

Simple - quality and price.

After owning an Italian 92, I would not own an American made version.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

I agree with CMOS. I compared an Italian made 92FS to an American made 92FS and noticed the following: the parts fit much better, especially the slide to frame fit-the pistols made in Italy are hand fitted; the finish is superior, it looks a lot like lie SIG's K-Kote polymer, the so-called Brunitron US made Berettas get doesn't even come close; the barrel is thickly chromed on the Italian pistols whereas the bore on US pistols is either not chromed or barely so; the magazines have a thick finish that lasts and serves as lurbicant increasing postive feed and facilitating insertion and removal; US made mags have a rough finish and aren't as well put together; the DA/SA pulls on an Italian Beretta are buttery smooth, with a US made Beretta it's the luck of the draw, sometimes you get excellent trigger other times you don't, it all depends how the parts fit, and lastly they're more accurate. Why? Old World craftsmanship that's passed down from old timers who work at the plant. Many gun manufacturers in the US care little about this tradition and instead prefer to retire their best workers early and hire the cheapest possible alternative. As for reliability, well there IMHO there's no difference between one and the other. If you can get an Italian made Beretta 92FS pay the $40-$60 difference. Now it may seem like a lot but years from now you'll be glad.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited December 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited December 15, 1999).]

dw, I have too agree with Tecolote on all points, I own Italian and American guns and the difference is noticable. Particularly in the area of fit and finish, no contest. I did notice that the hard chrome barrel lining on the Italian guns continues and includes the crown, on my American 92FS it is only in the chamber and on the rifling. I'm not poo-pooing American made Berettas, they are mighty fine pistols, the Italian guns are just a tad nicer in my experience.

I have to agree with the previous posts. Both the Italian- and American-made 92s are about the same in function (as near as I can tell). But there are subtle but important differences in the quality of their fit and finish. To me, this translates into pride of ownership.

Trouble is, the Italian pistols are much harder to find, at least in my experience. In the last couple of years the local gunshop has received quite a few U.S. Berettas, but not a single Italian one.

OTOH, I'd rather have an American-made Beretta than none at all.

The two or three Italian INOX 92s I've seen were all beautifully made. I've seen three American INOX 92s--all had some rough tool marks and one had a DA trigger that was so heavy I don't know how it got out of the factory.

I believe that $650 for an Italian INOX 92 is a little high but still in the acceptable price range. I wonder if this one happens to come with the original stainless hi-caps? :)

I forgot to mention that it does come with the hight caps for that price.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me make my decision.

Back