Beretta 92FS-vs-Walther/S&W 99??

SGB

I'm currently looking to buy my first handgun. I have a lot of experience with the 92FS(friend has one) but I have rather small hands and the 92 has a big grip. Last time out I also had some pain in my shooting wrist. Could this be from the Beretta grip being too large for me. I really like the 99's but I'm worried about all of the problems I've read about. It seems like some people have a lot of problems and others have none at all. Is the Walther/S&W worth the risk? Any other suggestions for a guy with small hands and a somewhat limited budget.

I liked the P99, too. Good looks, great grip, outstanding fit and finish. But after two broken firing pins (annoyance) and a broken barrel lug (catastrophe), I sold mine. Three trips to the shop in eight months for a gun with a one year warranty was too much for me. On the other hand, the gun never jammed (4,800 rounds), and there are several P99 owners who are very pleased with theirs.

I'm very pleased with my HK USP. Its grip is almost as good as the P99, and it is reliable and very easy to shoot well. So don't overlook HK.

That said, if your handgun experience is limited to your friend's Beretta, rent as many different guns as you can before you buy. I've found that there are many excellent guns available, and many that I would like to own.

Greetings Sir; I would suggest that you try
all makes/model's and see what's best for
you. Some make's and model's to try are:

1) Sig-Sauer P220A in 9m/m or .45ACP
2) Sig-Sauer P226 in 9m/m,.40SW,.357 Sig
3) Sig-Sauer P228 in 9m/m
4) Sig-Sauer P229 same as #2
5) H&K USP Full Size/Compact same as 1 & 2
6) Glocks (All Models) in all caliber's
7) Beretta 92/96 in 9m/m and .40SW
8) New Beretta in .45ACP (Model ?)

And if you are lucky enough to still find
a Browning Hi-Power in 9m/m or .40SW; you
might better jump on it, as of January 1,
2000 Browning is no longer importing their
handguns into the US of A. Let us know what
you choose?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 12-16-99

Go do the right thing, and buy that walther :) :) :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Back