Beretta 92 vs. Taurus 92 (cost a factor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

navdoc

Inactive
How does the Taurus compare in all aspects to the Beretta, keeping in mind that the difference in price would make a huge difference on my shoestring budget?

I own a Beretta 92 and really love it. BUT, the Taurus guns that I have held have been really nicely put together. And the taurus has a cocked-and-locked option, which the Beretta does not. I have a friend that has one, and it shoots just as well as mine does. I think the Taurus is a great gun for the money.

Before picking up my Sig 226 in 9mm, I carried a Taurus PT-92C, which is the compact version of the full size gun. For the record, I had absolutely no failures in the 1000 rounds or so that I put through the gun.

The only thing I did not like about the piece was the grip. For me The grip felt to blocky and thick. Kind of like holding a brick. Other than that, it shot well and handled like a dream.

I actually liked the frame mounted safety and enjoyed the tri function feature. I had no problems with engaging the controls. The Beretta has a slide mounted safety which can be difficult to manipulate if you have med size hands.

If I had to choose between the beretta and the taurus with all things being equal, except price, I would probably choose the Taurus, IMHO.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited September 17, 1999).]

Greetings, sir. For the money, I think the Taurus line of handguns are good buys. I realize that some have had some bad experiences, but Taurus has a lifetime guarantee on their products. I own an older PT92, pre-decocking model. It's malfunctioned exactly 1 time in several thousand rounds and that was ammo-related. Other than that, it's been completely reliable and I trust it. For the money you spend on a Taurus, you do NOT get the Beretta's chrome-lined barrel nor the Brunitron finish, just blue or their other options. Best.

I have a stainless PT-101 40S&W have countless rounds through this gun without a hitch(only modification was to polish feed ramp with a dremel) Fit and finish is not as nice as my Italian Beretta, but function has been. :) G.R.

Hey Glock Raider, you have a "pimp gun" too? I broke down and bought the SS Beretta 96 instead of the Glock 35. The G35 was $100 more and just out of my budget. I really liked the G35 but the SS Beretta was just too cool-looking. :) But on to the topic. The brother of my brother-in-law has a SS Taurus PT101 too and he really likes it. I may have considered getting a SS Taurus PT101 but they don't make them anymore. :( From what I understand, if cost is the major concern, then a Taurus should function pretty much like the Beretta.

Later,
Rich

Pimpin ain't easy but someone gotta do it rich. :) Bought the PT101 because It was cheap and I had a supply of 13rd Ramline mags to use in it.

I was debating between the two recently. Baretta... Taurus... Baretta... Taurus... I bought a Glock.

------------------
--Rich

Nice job Shall. I posted the topic and have already put in my order for a 1911 now. I guess it's because I like to tinker and add to my toys and the mil-spec 1911 provides the most versatile platform.
P.S. If you have the time to learn and the tools to do you can be your own gunsmith.

Hi. I do have a beretta 92FS,and it is a great gun. It is relable and accurate enough. There is just one thing I'do like to say "A cheater never beat the original!" Taurus might disquise as the beretta, but it will never be the beretta.

Rich,

I didnt even know beretta made a stainless 96. are they still in production ?

GR, how well do those ramline hi-caps work? I have a stash of them for the taurus and beretta.

Does anyone know how to tell an 11 rd factory beretta 96 mag from a 10 rd mag ? also, whether they *actually* hold 11 rounds ?

Forty Shooter The ramlines work just fine. I was skeptical about their performance when I bought them but have been pleasently suprised. Not one single hangup that is mag related so far(aprrox,1500 rds through 2 differn't magazines) :) G.R. Wish I had bought more

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited September 20, 1999).]

Sig Man. Beretta set up the machinery for Taurus and ran the show for several years before selling the machinery to Taurus. I had an early PT-99, the non-decocker model, and It was accurate, never jammed with jacketed ammo, and the only malfunction it ever gave me was with some cast lead loads I bought. For some reason, they would not feed.
The only difference in the magazines, is the hole on the Beretta mags are smaller than the Taurus. I haven'y tried this, but I seriously believe that with a little careful work with a needle file, Beretta mags would work in the Taurus. I don't know about any other parts interchangeability though.
In fact, IMHO, the Taurus is just a Beretta with a Brazilian accent.
The grips are blocky, that's true. However, ther eis enough wood thast one could thin them down with a file without destroying the integrity of the piece.
Paul B.

Hey, fortyshooter2. Beretta calls them SS Inox and they're still in production, both the 92 and the 96. Hey, GR, I don't suppose Ramline still sells 13 round .40 Beretta/Taurus mags?
Oops, of course I know no hi-caps are still manufactured for civilian use.

Later,
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich I (edited September 20, 1999).]

The Taurus PT92/PT99 is a great gun. Mine was very accurate and never failed to do anything. The safety location actually works better than the Beretta in my opinion.

The Beretta does have a better grip for some.

The Beretta 96 comes in stainless. It is a new model so it should be available for a while. $489.00 at Dallas gun show last weekend. Also available with factory NS for $559.00 at the gun show.

I think the Taurus PT92 was $339.00 or so.

I just bought a PT940. Another great gun from Taurus. Again, the frame is not very ergonomic. Available in blue and SS in .357 Sig, .40, .45, .380, and 9mm. (FYI)

great to know I have a stainless steel choice !
now all I have to do is get some +2, +3, or +4 bottoms for my Ramline hi-caps. does anyone know if +2s are out there ? either for the 92 or the 96 mags ?

hmmmm.....what would my ramline hi-caps be worth with a standard spring and a +2 installed? hmmmm.

I recently bought a used PT-92 AFS stainless from a gunshop here in West LA. Curiously, it has a black matte finish barrel which I'm sure was a modification by the previous owner. Comparing the fit of this gun with the current Beretta, I do notice a slight looser fit with respect to the slide and frame. There is visible evidence of some less exacting milling on the inside of the slide as well. Considering that Beretta was "in charge" of the Brazilian operation Taurus eventually took over, does that mean all Brazilian Beretta guns manufactured at that time had the same less exacting fit and milling? I haven't yet compared my Taurus with a Brazilian made Beretta, so I wouldn't know. Mind you, I really like this gun. It shoots well at all distances, double taps with accuracy, feels good in my hands, and it usually garners attention from the range staff where I shoot. Bonus - it cleans up very well.

------------------
One word: Vigilant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back