Beretta 92: Tips on what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickC

I am going tomorrow to look at used 92. The dealer who has it has told me the following:

1) It is technically used, but in absolutely mint condition. It looks like it was barely used.

2) It is a stainless model. The slide has Beretta USA on one side , but Made in Italy on the other.

3) The price is right.

I have not owned one of these before, but today I spent some time reading through the archives of past posts in this forum and most of what I read was positive. I do remember reading that some of the early US-made guns were less robust than the Italin-made versions.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to what I should look for in particular on this gun prior to buying?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Beretta's are oft maligned. If it was manufactured in Italy, prior to the US Armed Forces contract, I guarantee it'll drive tacks and feed anything loaded in the mag.

I know of "better" weapons and have heard of problems with the mass produced guns for the military...but I've heard similar things with Glocks, HK's and Sigs. I regret having sold my Italian made Berettas.
Rich

Rick - buy it.

If it is an Italian SS model it will be one magnificant gun. I have one myself. Never a FTF or any problems. Do a field strip and you will notice no less than 5 proof marks stamped on various parts. The action on this gun is as smooth as polished glass.

I'm sure the US made ones are OK but those Italian models can't be touched, IMHO.

CMOS

I challenge you to go to www.greent.com/beretta and review the data contained in the armorer's notes links. You will learn that no stamped or cast parts are included on any 92 model. All parts of this series pistol are machined from a solid block of steel. You should also look at the locking block link and note that is has been redesigned. You should also note that every U.S. made 92FS is now fired with a 60K+ PSI proof round and then magnafluxed for any sign of stress or weakness. All U.S.-Made 92 FS's are completely interchangable as well. Take the Inox 92 pistol for sale apart and then re-assemble it. Much can be learned by scrutinizing the internal components. Bring a bore light for the barrel. Good luck! Granted, Beretta made some poor products early on in the 92 Series but they have constantly improved and continue to improve on the processes and final product. Ask yourself why they still have the contracts with Uncle Sam if this were not true. The other manufacturers can get just as low on the price as they have and they will if given the chance.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited October 28, 1999).]

The Beretta is an awsome gun. Very good for target shooting as well because of the rotating barrel design. It doesn't need to tip upwards like most guns. It's almost fixed in fact. It's a darn fine gun. I got a Beretta 92 SB, and a 950 Jetfire. Both have been 100% reliable.

Ben

------------------
Besides, I didn't become a "Senior Member" by just sitting around!

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

You want to make sure the feed ramp isn't burred or pitted. This could cause major malfunction problems. Also, make sure the magazine ejects freely and that the slide locks back on an empty magazine. Check for any rust or major blemishes in the finish that could cause damage. Make sure the pistol works in both single and double action. Rack back the slide a few times to check the barrel lock up. Beretta's do have "play" between the slide and barrel but a significant amount could result in poor accuracy and reliability. Check the quality of the magazines and a good way to due this is by bringing along snap caps. Snap caps offer a safe way for one to perform dry-firing without damaging any of the internal parts. Load the magazine with the snap caps and work the action until all snap caps have been ejected from the weapon. If a handgun fails to eject snap caps, it might not fair well with live ammo!

+'s....

reliable,

accurate,

9MM ammo is cheap$$$

-'s....

Trigger su--s,

Big, clumbsy gun(IMHO)...

Overkill on safeties!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

I have 4 issue M-9 in the past few years, 1 was the most accurate pistol I have ever shot in my life. 2 were alright, so, so. The one I was issued at the basic school was god awful, inaccurate, rattled around, etc. I have also Had allot of problems with issue magazine, they seem to wear out real quick. I got average sized hands and manipulting the saftety to decock is some time hard, flipping it off safe has never been a problem.

You should have no problems with that Italian made pistol, but still it is a good idea to pull the locking block and check for cracks or excessive battering. The blocks failed a lot on US made guns.

Jim

Thanks everyone for the input.

This was one sweet gun. As advertised, this was the most un-used, used firearm you have ever seen. No marks, no sign of wear, in its original case, the barrel looks like it just came from the factory. Tight fit in every respect. I loved it on sight.

I will get it early next week and (hopefully) get out to shoot it shortly thereafter. Will let you know.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Definitely check for cracks in the barrel locking block (or total fracture of same)...military issue M9s suffer an alarming rate of failure after moderate use (less than 4000 rds)...it is easy to fix (replace the broken block with a new one) but it seems a shame to have an expensive weapon that may fail with no prior warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back