Beretta 92 longevity

M1Rifle30-06

The Beretta 92fs frame I've heard is good for 30k rounds. If anyone has any for-sure info on this I'd like to know. For the USP or Beretta.

I bought a Taurus "clone" (PT-99) NiB in 1990. It still functions just fine. I may or may not have changed out the mainspring (can't remember). It's certainly had at least 10,000 rounds through it, probably more. I don't keep track of that sort of thing.

You can go well past 30k rounds if you change the recoil spring every 3-5k, and change the locking block every 15k-20k rounds. I have seen many people over the years state that they broke a locking block right past 20k. I'd go ahead and change one out at 15k, personally.

If a locking block breaks, it can occasionally damage the frame. The locking blocks are much cheaper in the past few years than they were a decade or so ago. No reason not to do it.

If you want more info, go check out the Beretta Forum

good for 30,000 rounds/ of what?

First off, there's a bit of difference between standard ball and some +p++ stuff run by Navy Seals or somebody....else who doesn't pay for their gun or ammo out of their personal pocket.

SO, part of the question is what is going to be run through the gun. Next part is how it will be maintained. Spring changes (or other parts) on a schedule of rnds fired is different from shoot it till it stops working.

Lastly, why does it matter, to you?

Service life /longevity are issues of concern when you are equipping a military with tens of thousands of pistols. Might be a valid issue with a major PD looking at buying hundreds of pistols.

When we're looking a 1 or 2 personally owned guns, not so much.

How many times the cost of the gun are you going to spend on ammo to get to 30,000 rnds? 2? 3? more??

I wouldn't choose a particular gun because some version tested good to 30k and somebody else's model went to 40 or 50k rounds. That's irrelevant to me. I'd pick what I pick based on other factors, because in real terms, anything that isn't absolute junk is going to out live me, anyway.

I had a Taurus PT-99 years ago. The locking block shattered while using standard Fiocchi copper jacketed ammo. I had maybe 500 rounds through the gun when it failed. I could not get the slide separated from the frame. My gunsmith had a difficult time doing this as well. The "fix" for this is now known to be cutting the barrel in half, removing it first which will free the slide. If you do not do this, and instead try to work the slide loose, you will gouge the soft aluminum frame rails with sharp shards of the steel locking block. Thus, I conclude the 92/99 is a poor design.

Since then, Beretta re-designed the locking block around 2005, which apparently eliminated this problem. I do not know if the Taurus guns use the re-designed locking block.

One other problem I had with the Taurus PT-99 was that the slide's nickel finish easily rusted through and pitted. It was a very cheap, thin nickel coating.

Since then, I have never purchased another 92 or 92 Clone, and I am still somewhat leery of aluminum framed pistols.

Oh, and this is absolutely my own personal experience - not internet BS.

It is my understanding that Taurus has not redesigned the locking block in their guns.

Beretta is on the 3rd gen of their block.

Skans, you should not tar the 92 with a Taurus failure. I would bet Berettas are made of better metal. Taurus has had issues with metal quality in my experience.

Ernest Langdon demonstrated that the Beretta could be competitive.
He changed the recoil spring at 5000, all other springs at 10,000, locking block at 20000.
Didn't say how many cycles the big parts were good for, though.

My 92FS is about 5-6 years old with well over 30,000 rounds through it. Most have been slightly reduced power target loads, but easily 5K have been +p.
The frame rails are just starting to get shiny on the edges, and the recoil sprig has been changed once.
I anticipate that it'll outlive me.

Son #2 has a 92FS that I bought as a present when he went into the Marine Corps in '95. He's gone through two cases of 9mm 115 Winchester FMJ bulk bullets (3660 per case) with it, plus some uncounted factory ammo as well.

Our hand loads with that bullet are short of max, but not by much (115 gr FMJ using Stephen Camp's tried and true Unique load for the Browning Hi-Power, producing ~1150-1200 fps).

Conservatively, I'd estimate the total round count at 8500+ with no appreciable wear. Accuracy continues to be good with that piece: ~2.5" @ 25 yds from a rest. He keeps it clean (good Marine donchaknow) but has never changed out any parts that I know of.

Best regards, Rod

Back