Beretta 92, installing Vertec grips

chadio

I have a Beretta 92 and I found a set of Vertec grips (Beretta part). With a bit of patience and a Dremel, the thinner Vertec grips fit and feel wonderful on the 92 vs. the thicker factory grips. However, the factory grip screws now protrude into the mag well.

Does Beretta sell the shorter screws, which would have been used in the factory Vertec pistol?

Which road do I take to get there?

If you have a drill, get a disc sanding pad with a 1/4" shaft.
Put on a 5" 60 or 40 grit adhesive sanding disc.
Mount the drill and sanding disc into a vise horizontally.

Use a needle nose pliers to hold the screw.
Use this to grind the screw down to the correct length.
I've done this hundreds of times to get the right screw length.

Did you consider VZ grips or Langdon Tactical grips (which I think are VZ) rather than modding the Vertec grips?

On the LTT grips they have a little O-ring for each grip screw that acts as both a lock washer and gives the screws the offset they need to prevent protruding into the magazine well. Could you try something like that? How far are the screws protruding?

It does look like David Olhasso has screws specifically sized for the Vertec for sale.
https://www.olhasso.com/parts.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks tr, I have a few options now.

And thanks hvr. I have a feeling this will be worth the effort.

Last edited:
The screw is a metric 3mmx0.8 IIRC. If you have a tap and die set with this die, you can grind the screw down or file it then use the die to chase the threads to remove the burrs. If you grind or file without chasing the threads it probably won't go in. If you file them flat from the inside, if you ever remove the screws you might damage the grip screw bushing.

I bought an inexpensive tap and die set from harbor freight years ago and haven't had a problem. It's probably paid for itself 100 times over by now.

If you don't want to get a tap and die kit, find a small nut that will screw on then cut the screw and when you back the nut off it will clean up the threads. I'm sure there are shorter screws out there?

Back