Beretta 92 fs OR Walther P99 QA?

Wildcard

i have owned berettas for about 10 years now. They are good pistols, accurate enough for my needs, but i am looking for something new and smaller, easier to conceal. I have a dealer that wants to trade me even, my 92fs with 6 hi caps for a Walther P99 QA with 3 hicaps. Any thoughts on this??? If anyone out there has any experience with the P99 QA, please send some info my direction....

thanks all

Well, I have a Beretta 92 FS and a Walther P99, not the QA.

I think part of it comes down to trigger pull. One of the reasons I could not use a Glock for anything other than the occasional range gun is trigger pull.

I think if I were you, I would see if I could get the Beretta 9000S. It is smaller, the size of the mini-compact Glocks. The trigger is what you are familiar with. From the reviews, problems seem to be with the .40 S&W models. The 92FS magazines you have will work in the 9000S with a spacer.

I'd get the P99 QA. Its lighter, more features, good quality & accurate. I have the .40 P99 QA. In all honesty, I have not fired the Berreta. Do a search on some of the P99 QA posts here.

Both are great guns, although they fill different slots in the armory. The 92FS is a full-sized duty holster gun, the P99 is more of a compact CCW piece. Both are very accurate, the P99 is much lighter and easier to conceal, the Beretta has less felt recoil and a longer barrel. Trigger on the Beretta tends to be a bit better, but the Walther trigger is as good as they come on plastic guns.

I have a Beretta 96 Inox and a Walther P99 (non-QA), and I wouldn't want to be forced to pick one over the other. For carry, the Walther is probably better for many people...it weighs much less and is more CCW-friendly in its dimensions. OTOH, I also carry my 96, and I found that its length actually makes it better for IWB carry.

I'd keep the Beretta and put the Walther on layaway. The deal sounds pretty good, and I know how strong the "new gun jones" can be, but you'd trade a fine pistol away. The Walther is an equally great choice, and it really boils down to whether you'd regret trading your 92FS too much.

Back