Beretta 92 FS INOX

Prof Young

Shooters:
I'm looking at a mildly used Beretta 92 FS INOX in an auction. Stainless Steel and five inch barrel. On line sources suggest this is about an $800 gun.

On gun broker some are going for over a grand. There must be something about those ones that I don't know about.

Anyway, does anyone know what the INOX designation means.

Any other thoughts or comments about this firearm would be appreciated.

Life is good.
Prof Young

INOX is just. Beretta speak for stainless/silver anodized guns.

The only “collectible” aspect that I seem to remember is the early guns had all stainless/silver anodized parts where the newer ones have black controls but I might be slightly off base here.

As for the 92 series guns, a well cared for 92 is one of the most reliable and proven guns available. They are wonderful pistols with lots of support and look great. They a great shooters and have good triggers out of the box that can be made into incredible triggers with little effort.

Chris

I have a 92 F blued and I love the gun. There is not much difference between the F and the FS. I have tested it with all kinds of ammo and it has never missed a beat. The something about these that you don't know about is that firearms, like ammo, have sort of sky rocketed in price. If you really like the gun, get it! You won't be disappointed. If you wait for prices to come down, you will be disappointed.

I have a 92FS INOX my wonderful Wife gifted me for a birthday gift. I later added a Crimson Trace and also a shiny stainless magazine. It has a manufacture date of 2009 and she purchased it new in January 2010.

It is nice looking and a very smooth and easy to rack slide.

Attachments

• ber92.jpg
    ber92.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 74
Beretta Inox is typically a look (QPQ? who knows with Beretta) and not a Beretta replacement name for stainless.

The 92 Inox is neither stainless steel or steel. Top is stainless, bottom is not.

Just like a PX4 Inox is not a stainless top. Just a finish.

Great pistol. Mine is the Vertec model. I say a real price is $600 to $700 for a nice one.

From Beretta USA website;
"The Beretta 92FS Inox gives you all the features of the legendary 92FS or M9 (the official sidearm of the US military), in a rugged and attractive satin stainless steel finish. The slide, barrel and internal parts are all stainless, while the alloy frame is anodized to match the color and finish of the other components."

Last edited:
Prof Young said:
Anyway, does anyone know what the INOX designation means.
The Spanish word for rust is "óxido." Thus, non-rusting (stainless steel) is "inoxido."

I assume the same applies in Italian, since the two languages are close.

Inox is Italian for stainless steel. There are all-steel versions of the 92, but the "Inox" isn't one. As indicated above, the slide is stainless, but the frame is still aluminum. It has a paint-like coating to mimic stainless in appearance, but the coating will show varying degrees of wear with use, and the underlying metal has a yellow tinge due, I am told, to its anodizing treatment. I have one, and it's a beautiful gun, but the wear points (under the slide release lever and under the trigger bar) are a bit of a disappointment. Wonderful shooter, though, even with its finish marks.

Inox is Italian for stainless steel.

I assume the same applies in Italian, since the two languages are close.
Only counts when playing; Horse-Shows ..... ;)

Inox is Italian for stainless steel.
I first encountered this word when I bought a knife in Naples. At first I thought it was the makers mark but when I asked the clerk, he said it meant SS. Since then, you see it on many knives and firearm. Even if any other part of the pistol is a white non-ferrous meta, it may still say INOX as it will be present as well. I could be wrong but have only seen INOX on Italian products. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Italian for stainless is: inossidabile

I don't know how Beretta came up with INOX (maybe from Spanish as mentioned above), but, at any rate, that's the term they use to refer to their "stainless" models.

So what does INOX mean as applied to a Beretta 92FS?

The frames on the 92FS pistols are aluminum. On an INOX model they will be silver anodized--the anodizing will basically leave the gun a silver color--the color of matte aluminum. There are some 92 series pistols that have steel frames which can come in stainless versions, but they are usually referred to by a specific model name (i.e. Vertec, Steel) rather than just as '92FS'.

The slides and barrels on an INOX pistol are stainless steel.

The controls on an INOX pistol may be black plastic molded over steel, stainless steel, or steel plated by something like nickel or NP3.

Internal parts on an INOX pistol may be either stainless steel or steel plated with something like nickel or NP3.

The controls on an INOX pistol may be black plastic molded over steel, stainless steel, or steel plated by something like nickel or NP3.

They also have some with silver/gray plastic over steel. That's what I have.

On an INOX model they will be silver anodized--the anodizing will basically leave the gun a silver color--the color of matte aluminum.

Those are desirable. Beretta has gone to a silver/gray coating over a yellow anodized frame. Mine dates to 2011, made in Italy, and has the coating with a yellowish anodized metal beneath.

They also have some with silver/gray plastic over steel. That's what I have.
I didn't know there was a silver version of the plastic overmolding. Interesting!

I guess I haven't seen the different color anodizing either. Might be interesting to ask Beretta about that to see if they will explain.

After reading the above, I have no idea which one I have of the several mentioned. The only black on mine is the rear sight and the grips. The picture is in post 4 above and the manufacture date was 2009.

I didn't know there was a silver version of the plastic overmolding. Interesting!

At the time I bought mine (2011) they were doing the silver version in Italy, and the black version in the US. I'm not sure how long that lasted.

"Correct" and "Normal" have morphed into fluid terms these days.

Just last year, I saw Mossberg 590A1s selling for $1800 on Gunbroker, and still $1000+ yesterday. But you can buy these at Academy Sports of similar (IF you can find one before they sell in 5 minutes) for $399.

Some of the many special editions of the 92 have collector frenzy pricing also, although I'm a shooter more than a collector, so I wait.

Back