Beretta 9000

Shake

Got my first look at the 9000. I wasn't much impressed.

The grip was blocky and didn't fit my hand at all. The biggest problem I had with the gun (just handling it) was the fact that there was hardly enough slide to get a decent grip on. If I remember correctly the slide rides inside the frame (like the CZ75). I have big hands, and it might be easier for those with small hands, but it would be a big problem for me. I felt like I had to "pinch" the slide between my thumb and forefinger to make it function.

I did try a 92FS magazine in the 9000 (they are supposed to fit with a spacer available from Beretta). It seemed to fit pretty well.

Don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon (or anytime).

Shake

Gotta agree. They did a good job on the Cougar but missed the mark on 9000S. I never thought I would find a Beretta that felt so akward and uncomfortable to hold. Not to mention the stiff controls.

I can't believe that The same company that makes my 96 .40 Border Marshal makes the 9000. Very uncomfortable. I have no idea how it shoots.

Guns - Magazine, just did a feature article on the 9000 and were unhappy with it's accuracy. Too, bad it looks great, all except for the stamp "read manual before operating" stamped into the side. That seems a little ridiculous:(

I looked at one last weekend along with a Kahr P9. The Beretta felt realy porky next to the Kahr, and I didn't care for the short grip. I concur about the slide, too, not much purchase to be had. A couple extra rounds would be nice, but too porky for comforatable CCW, I bought the Kahr. M2

I waited as long as I could for the 9mm version 9000S------tried the 40 and the grip felt like a 2x4-very blocky.
I went with a Sig 225 for my carry-gun---------------one word-------Beautiful (in looks, accuracy and operation)

I still want a Cougar someday!!

FWIW
As much as I like Berettas, I just can not warm up to the 9000. Based upon the few I've handled the ergonomics are terrible, the DA trigger pull just south of painfull, and the safety/decock lever impossible to operate.
The 92/96's, 84/87, and Cougar series are such classic and highly regarded designs it makes one wonder how the same company ever dreamed this one up.
I think the size is a great, but the pistol needs a major redesign. My guess you won't see a lot of Glock 26 and 27 trade ins for the 9000.
Take Care

Back