Beretta 84 Spring question

Al Lowe

Inactive
Does anyone how strong the mainspring and recoil spring on the 84 is supposed to be? I recently bought a used 84 and the spring on it seem stronger than those on my RIA M1911-A1 FS Tactical.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know it's blowback. But it just feels stiffer than I expected. Hell, it's almost as bad as my RIA Rock Ultra 10mm, and that has some stiff springs.

I may have to try some Wolff springs to see if they're lighter or the same, or worse.

I have an 84, and it's hard to rack the slide. I also have a blowback 25 Auto, and it's almost impossible to rack it by hand. That's one of the reasons you'll find tip-up barrels on some of the small blowback autos. It's easier to load them that way than by racking the slide.

So, your 84 sounds normal.

Thanks for that Shooting Times article too. If not for that, I'd have not just figured out how the decocker works. :)

I have an 84, and it's hard to rack the slide. I also have a blowback 25 Auto, and it's almost impossible to rack it by hand. That's one of the reasons you'll find tip-up barrels on some of the small blowback autos. It's easier to load them that way than by racking the slide.

So, your 84 sounds normal.
I have a Phoenix TP25, I have no trouble with its springs. Racking the slide is not a problem.

My 25 Auto is a Taurus. It benefits greatly from the tip-up barrel.
No doubt. The Phoenix was an impulse buy. It was used, it was under $100.00. It sits in a drawer now and makes the occasional range visit. It has some features I like. But it has some I totally detest. I thought about selling it. Instead, I keep it as a reminder that not all impulse buys are good. :)

My 84F has the stiffest slide in my safe.

I don't recall it being as difficult as this.

As a fellow has reached a certain age, may I gently suggest that some combination of memory and physical strength may have changed over the years?

Back