Beretta 8040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvich

Inactive
I am seriously considering a Beretta 8040 as a carry piece (primarily for backpacking/camping). I have large hands and find the Beretta to be very "ergonomic". I am a relatively new handgun owner and want to know about experience with the Beretta (recoil, safety, malfunctions, etc.)

I seriously considered the 8040 and test fired a friends. Very comfortable grip for big hands. The only thing seems to be the disappointing accuracy. In addition, many articles refer to this gus as "combat accuracy". So I decided to pass it. It is reliable and well made. But somehow the rotating bbl doesn't seem to group well.

Let us define combat accuracy. Combat accuracy is 3-4 inches at 25 yards. Most factory semi-autos from the better manufacturers will do this feat, including the Beretta Cougar. If you must have a semi-auto that groups better--say 1.5 to 2 inches at 25 yards--a Sig Sauer P220 is the only factory pistol I have shot that will perform this well with decent ammo. Beyond that choice, you are considering custom-tuned 1911.

Remember too that inherent accuracy is determined in a Ransom Rest device, not a shooter's hands. Also, most self-defense encounters with a pistol occur at 7 yards or less. So, considering the abuse a pistol takes with daily concealed carry, reliably should probably count more than inherent accuracy. The Berettas are very reliable pistols.

I've had a Beretta 8040 Mini Cougar for over a year and it's never jammed once. It's not as accurate as a SIG P229 but it should serve your purpose well as a carry piece. The recoil isn't bad but then again, I'm used to using a SIG P220 so you'll have to test one at a range that lets you rent guns.
You've already discovered one of the more important aspects of choosing a handgun, i.e. finding a weapon that feels good in your hands. However, make sure to test one before buying it if possible. I don't think you'll regret getting an 8040 Cougar.

Later,
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back