Beretta 8040

RonnieV

Inactive
I just bought my first semi-auto handgun, a Beretta 8040 Cougar. I shot .45's, 9mm's, and .40's in many makes from Kimber, Beretta, Sig, Ruger, and Taurus. This Beretta felt great and I bought it. I don't know alot about semi-auto's or Beretta's. Any advice or comments on this purchase would be appreciated. I paid $589. Is that an OK deal or did I get ripped off?
Thank you in advance.

My Beretta Cougar 8040 was my first automatic pistol, aside from 22's. It has become my favorite carry piece. You should be very happy with your purchase. Was that price new or used?

I've got the Cougar in the 8045 configuration and the weapon demonstrates exceptional 'point and shoot' accuracy. It really shines when you go for center-torso shots on a silhouette without taking time to line up the sights at eye-level. The Cougar sits low in your hand thanks to the deep curve in the back strap and I think that this helps get the weapon to feel like an extension of your hands.

The recoil is noticably lower on the .45 Cougar than it is on my HK USP40c. It could be the difference in the pressure ratings of the 40cal ammo versus the 45acp, however, it could also be that there's something to Beretta's claims that the swiveling barrel helps to reduce felt recoil.

I like my Cougar a lot and have found it to be utterly reliable and a fine feeling gun in my hand. My only complaint would be that the decocker levers tend to gouge my hand if I'm not careful when I rack back the slide and release...

Enjoy!

PS: I paid $600 new in the box with an extra magazine for mine in February of this year in southern Indiana.

Sounds like your price was on the mark--not a great deal and not a bad deal.

Beretta Cougar

I have one that I purchased sometime ago LNIB for $400. at a gun show. I like it and the Cougar line in general. That price from what I've seen around is about right. Good luck with your new purchase and I hope it serves you well ;)

My Beretta

Yes the $589 was new, in the box, with two clips, a couple of barrel brushes, and 1 year of range time. I pick it up Tues. I can't wait. Thanks to everyone who responded. It sounds like the price was "in the ballpark".

That's definately a good price then. I paid $479 for mine used with two mags. Mine is an Italian made one. One recommendation: when you are at a gun show, or see them in a magazine, pick up an extra mag even though the factory box doesn't have room for a third. To me, it seems like the perfect shoulder rig gun, which goes hand in hand with two spare mags. The problem is, I have only seen one factory 8040 mag for sale. I prefer to feed my good guns only factory mags and I believe they are worth hunting for and paying a little extra. The last one I saw was going for $26.

Cougar Mags

You can order factory mags direct from Beretta in Maryland.
Their customer service is very good in my opinion. I had to order new grip screws so I ordered the mag at the same time. I don't remember what I paid for it though.
Also I believe all the Cougars are made in Italy ;)

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting :)

Visit us over at The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily

Back