Beretta 76/.22 bore life?

deadcoyote

I'm looking at purchasing a Beretta 76. As far as I can tell these were discontinued in 1985. How are these pistols? Is $400 a fair price? Also, considering the pistol is at least 25 years old, how many rounds can a 22 pistol barrel take before its worn out?

life

how many rounds can a 22 pistol barrel take before its worn out?

Hmmm. About a gazillion. Maybe more.
My match pistol (High Standard Victor) was made in 1973. Used regularly, it still shoots magically well.

Pete

+1
I shoot with folks from the next county over who still plug away with .22's made in the 60's (if not 50's)- Darkgael is right, nobody is apt to live long enough to wear out a quality .22 bbl. The thing to watch out for is the muzzle- if it were cleaned much from the noisy end, it could have been dinked or ironed with the rod. Even then, .22 bores don't require a lot of cleaning so that will probably be a non-issue.

In Fast and Fancy Revolver ShootingEd McGivern has pictures of one hole machine rest groups fired out of S&W K-22s with over 200, 000 rounds through them. Biggest threat to a 22 barrel I see would be with corrosive ammo, if there is such a thing. Or black powder.

Back