Beretta 71 .22 questions

chupps

I'm considering a Beretta 71 and I am having trouble getting mfg date based on the serial number. Can anyone point me to a website or another way of getting help?

Also, any opinions on this gun would be appreciated. Thanks

The two-letter date code is most likely found on the forward section of the trigger guard.

The Beretta 71 is a fantastic gun, and one of my favorite all-time firearms. First, it's the most reliable .22 pistol I've ever encountered, meaning total reliability with the widest-spectrum of .22 ammo. I have some others that are close, but the several 71's I've shot have the edge.

The grip and natural pointability is also probably the best of any handgun I've ever encountered -- for my hand anyway. The extremely low bore axis makes aiming feel like you're pointing a finger.

Very nice SA trigger, and the gun is just absurdly accurate for the size -- more than it has any right to be.

To top it off, it's a beautiful design, beautifully made and finished.

There are two main downsides that I see. It has relatively small/primitive sights -- they can achieve satisfying precision, but they are in no way high-vis. And not easy to adjust at the range.

Also, the 8-round mags mean it's a bit lacking in the firepower department (even .22 revolvers typically carry more these days), and spare factory mags are extremely expensive and not easy to find.

You'll probably like this article. Place your bets -- Israeli sky marshals armed w/ Beretta 71's in .22LR vs. AK47-wielding Arab terrorists: https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

Edit to add: there's a good amount of reference info to be found here: https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=95801

Last edited:
Another, similar video and review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLufq-CA7bM

I have a Model 101, which is a 70 with a longer barrel, adjustable sights, and apparently imported by another company than the 70 (the reason for the model change, as well as import points for the other features).

I've been very happy with mine, but as mentioned, magazines are expensive, if you can find them.

Thanks for the video. I respect duty weapons and own several. That is one reason I am looking into this gun.

You'll love it...great pistols. I have 5 M70/71 and a 101. Surplus mags are starting to show up, and all my Triple-Ks work just fine.

Beretta 71 Round Up on S.W.A.T. Magazine

A little late to the party on this one, but still worth a post for future readers, Justin Dyal wrote a great article on S.W.A.T. Mag titled Beretta 71: Wet-Work Wonder...Well worth a read.

B-8.jpg

Glad someone bumped this back to the top. I had a M71 Jaguar cross bolt back in 1966 with its deep red grips. Lost it in a burglary but found one of these babies and just love it.

Great links to some of the history.

I bought one and it is a great shooter.

I did have trouble with the re-assembly after field stripping. Finding this letter was a great help.

Attachments

• Beretta letter.jpg
    Beretta letter.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 89
Back