Beretta .45 ACP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.berettausa.com/cougarspecs.htm

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

legacy,

Yes they do, And I must say that I'm a proud owner of one. It was made in their Cougar line. I have a Cougar 8040 which is .40 cal. Loved that one so much I recently bought their Cougar Cat Pack which was the .45. Both have a good firing record in my book. Would like to pick up a 9mm to complete the series

------------------
gun control is people control

Yep. But try it out first and see whether the grip is too fat for you. The 9mm and 40 Cougars feel great to me, but their 45 may take some getting use to. I haven't given up my Sig in favor of the Beretta.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I just looked at the Beretta Cougar in .45 last week. I'm a big Beretta fan and this pistol is no exception. I own a 92 FS Brigadier and a 950 Jetfire. Used to own a Model 84 and I suspect, will own a Cougar .45. IN the not too distant future!

My hands are big enough to like Beretta grips and didn't find the .45 a problem.

Is the 8045 a single stack mag? What I want is a .45 ACP with a single stack mag and at least a 4" barrel and is DA/SA or DA only. I f DA/SA, I want a decock only model. I hate manual safeties on a handgun.

legacy38, you may want to pass on the Cougar. The 8045 is an 8+1 double stacker. I have big hands and find the ergonomics to be about perfect for me. However, the barrel is only 3.6" long, so I pretty much stick to 165-185 gr JHPs. I have the DA/SA 'F' model. While it has a ambidextrous decocker, it is also the safety and it's slide mounted, which makes it clumsy to use (it's also got a sharp edge) for me. Aside from the decocker/safety, I like mine a lot. It's been eminently reliable, eats everything I feed it, is accurate and easy to maintaain. YMMV, M2

When I was shopping for my first .45, the salesman at the gunshop was tring to convince me the Beretta .45 was what I wanted. I handled it, felt ok, trigger was allright, but I also checked out the Kimber Custom (sold for $40 less) and the Sig P220 ($15 less), and the Glock 30 ($150 less). I went with the Kimber, but I would of just as easily snapped up one of the other two before I wasted my hard earned dollars on the Beretta. It's a $400 gun going for $600, most likely because its new on the market.

If a double stack short barrel .45 is what your after, get the Glock 30.

MM,

Good point about the price. The one I looked at was over $600 and I thought that was a bit high too. Right next to it was a beautiful loaded Springfield for a little over $500 that I had to pass on because I cut my thumb on the slide's serrations. Other than that major design defect, they are probably worth $500 more than the Cougar is worth $600.

Legacy, a week ago I narrowed it down to the Kimber Custom and the Sig p220. I liked the feel and the trigger of the Kimber. I'll be picking it up on Thursday. Sig was very impressive too, that'll probably be my next purchase. Try both at the range, both are excellent, and while your at it, see if someone will lend you their Beretta.

oh hell, get the Sig.

I have a Beretta Cougar 8045-F and, so far, have been thrilled with it. I have found the grip to be very comfortable - however I am a large handed person. Those of you with smaller hands might find it a bit too big. I went with the "F" model because I like having a manual safety on a handgun. The safety/decocking lever on the 8045 is virtually identical to the 92F (as is the takedown proceedure) - as I learned to shoot handguns as a soldier (using the 92F) I have found adopting to the 8045 to be very easy. Legacy, the 8045 does come in a "G" model with only a decocker, but no safety. As for the price, 600 does seem step - I picked up mine for 500 and felt as though that was a fair price. On the whole I think its a great weapon - I can't recommend it enough.

------------------
"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example. . ." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

You might want to check out the Ruger P97. This is their polymer framed, stainless slide, 8-shot single stack in traditional DA/SA with a decocker....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back