Beretta .40sw Cougar vs Border Marshal

DougH

Inactive
I am trying to decide between the Cougar & Border Marshal. We purchaced a 92fs for my wife and have loved it. I was planning on a HK .40sw for myself but after firing the Cougar decided to look at Beretta. From the specs Brigadier looked good and night sights would make a Border Marshal. While waiting for the Border Marshall, I got nervous about having not fired it. Last night I fired a Elete 9mm (brigadier) and I like my wife's 92fs better. I fired a 96 and refired the Cougar and so far the Cougar is my choice. I can not find .40 brigadier (ie Border Marshal) to test fire and I am having a hard time making a decision. All opinions would be appriciated.

I never fired the Border Marshall either but it would pretty hard to beat a Cougar.

I fired a couple hundred rounds through a Border Marsahl and really liked. It fed everything I fed it (not a big selection--R-R JHPs and Georgia Arms ball). It was accurate and easy shooting with a good trigger. It was the first 92/96 series that really fit my hand right--I think they changed the geometry of the grip slightly from the standard 92/96. It one of the handguns I regret selling when I moved. If it has a drawback, it is that it is a very large handgun.

My best friend has both the 96 (issued Border Patrol weapon) and a Cougar in .357 SIG. When I talk to him, he goes on and on about how much he loves the Cougar and how it will shoot circles around the 96.

I don't own the 96.

Don't need to.

I've got the 8045.

Bigger holes. Better shooter.

Rented the regular 96's (it's tough to rent a Border Marshall) and compared them to the Cougar side by side at the range. One hour later, I handed the clerk the 96 back satisfied that I had Beretta's best already in my possession.

I come from a family of Beretta freaks. I was actually looked down on when I bought a Sig P239 in 9mm instead of a 9mm cougar.

When we hit the range you work your way through 2 92fs, 2 .40 border marshals, 9mm cougar, and a couple of 21a's.

I like the cougar, shoots like a dream, but it's just not for me. My Brother has the D model, which has the shorter hand grip. Ideal for persons with small hands. I went with a Sig P239 partially just to be different.
My personal choice would be the Border Marshal. I Can not say enough about it. I've never had a failure of anykind, night sights, accurate, comfortable. I would suggest a hogue wrap around grip. Fits me like a glove.

You won't go wrong with either choice.

I have a Border Marshall and I LOVE it. I almost bought a Cougar, but I wanted something I could legimately shoot IPSC with. I also carry this piece, and while it is huge, it isn't uncomfortable at all. I love how it shoots, looks, carries, services. It has great night sites. I don't know man, I guess you have to figure out what you need it for. I would go with the Marshall though. It kicks ass.

From what I've seen and heard, the 9/40 Brigadier models seem more relaible than the std 96 or Cougar in 9/40. The locking blocks seem to last longer in the 9mm Brigadiers than the std 92s too, especially w +P, +P+ ammo. Haven't seen enough rounds through the 40s yet to know if it's the same w the 40s.

The Cougar seems like a BIG gun for such a short barrel. They carry/conceal about the same; the grip size means more than the bbl length to me. I prefer the BM.

YMMV. Try to shoot both for yourself.

I also agree with Broken Arrow regarding the size of the Cougar. It is a bit big for the barrell size. Still a baeuty, but there is not a whole lot of difference between the Marshall and the Cougar for carry. The Marshall is just a little long.

Back