Beretta 21 Bobcat?

Curley

I'm considering buying a Beretta 21 Bobcat in .22LR and was wondering if anyone has owned or had experience with these guns.

Any recommendations, good or bad, would be appreciated. Thanks.

I Had a m21 Bobcat in .22. I really did not like it. It would fail to feed even with new beretta Mags. fail to extract and shot High and to the left. I sent it to Beretta they repaired it did not say what they did sent me a target with 8 holes in it, it did shoot straight after that. It still failed to feed they did install a new extractor. It has a 1" BBL so shooting anything farther that the end of your arm is iffy, and that .22 rivals my .44 and .45 for Noise. I traded it for a High point 9mm Much better and reliable plinker.

If you are looking for a HD or carry weapon look at something else like the Kel-Tec P11 9MM or Kahr P9 9mm both small and reliable.

I just recently got a matte-finished Bobcat, and I haven't had any complaints with it. Yeah, it's loud, but what do you expect from a barrel that short? It shoots well, and has never had a feed/extraction failure. I'd recommend getting one.

-Parke1

Go to Search mode and find out what a POS they are.

Ammo sensitive and jammomatics.

Unless you want to be frustated and laughed at at the range, getting a ful-sized .22lr like a Ruger or a Buckmark may be your answer.

Guess I'm just lucky ....

Curley, unlike the previous posters, my Bobcat has worked just fine, and I would have no qualms about making it a concealed carry piece if I wanted a .22 for that purpose. When I first got it, I learned that there were just some types of ammo it doesn't like to feed, namely flat-nosed hollow points. I feed it el-cheapo Thunderbolt lead round nose and it is 100% reliable with them.

I don't carry mine for 2 reasons:
1) It's every bit as heavy as my alloy-framed .38
2) It has no sights whatsoever, making it REAL hard to hit with the precision a .22 requires. I'm pretty good with it out to about 15 - 20 feet just by point shooting it, but in my opinion it could be much more accurate with some sights. If it did, I have no doubt I could shoot someone right between the eyes with it, as it seems accurate and has a very crisp single action trigger.

Bottom line is, mine's for sale right now since I just can't think of any practical use for it except wasting .22's, so that oughta tell you something.

I carried a Bobcat as a backup gun for years.

It resided in a holster which fitted onto the strap of my vest (my uniform shirt had the buttons sewn in place and a concealed zipper was used to zip up the shirt. Access to the gun was very fast). I tried different brands of ammo and found that it prefers CCI Stingers or MiniMags. While the sights were small and usable, I generally shot it by locking my arm and wrist and pointing at a close range target. The Bobcat was my backup for years until I left patrol work and became a pogue.

I guess it would depend on what you're buying it for. If it's for defensive use, .22LR out of a short barrel is pretty anemic, not what I'd consider carrying. Also, the .22LR round doesn't feed quite as well as rimless rounds from a magazine, so the potential for lower reliability is there. Of course, none of these considerations are a problem if this is just a gun for fun...

Thanks for the input, guys. This tells me what I needed to know.

BTW Coolray and jt, I already have both a Kel-Tec P11 and a Ruger Mark II (as well as an SP101 .357). The Bobcat would mainly be for plinking and perhaps carrying when the Kel-Tec wasn't practical.

I wish one of the gunmakers would produce a Kel-Tec P11-sized .22 with a 10-round capacity. My Mark II is great -- completely reliable and deadly accurate -- but it's 10 inches long and HEAVY. (I have the 6-inch barrel, may trade it for the 4-inch version.) But I have a great deal of confidence when shooting it that I can hit whatever I'm aiming at, and I'd love to have the same level of confidence with a CCW-sized .22.

I know Beretta makes the Cheetah 87 in .22LR. It's a nice size and weighs only 20 ounces, but $439 is a lot of money for a .22.

Back