Beretta 1934

Joe42day

Inactive
New member, 1st post. I have a WWII 1934 I got 35+ years ago from a local owner in NJ. It was in like new condition, still is as I've only put less the a box of ammo through it. Now years later I'm looking for a CC gun that is easy for me and my wife. Have a CC permit and will be traveling the country with our RV. In talking to a local shop guy who has had several of these about how this gun would fare, he warned me that there may be an issue with quality of the later war productions and to be careful shooting it. That bothered me a bit. Mine seems to be later war based on SN and lack of stampings. SN G36402 seems to put it at 1944 I believe. SN and CAL. 9 on one side. Nothing but a small eagle stamp below the hammer on the other and a small BM near the lanyard loop. Has anyone heard of issues firing this gun. Any info would be appreciated.

Joe42day is online now Report Post Edit Message

WOW! I was the proud owner of G36403 until it was stolen several years ago. I shot mine a lot. It's a good gun with no issues.

ABgO6FJl.jpg

I wouldn’t shoot such a collectible gun that much. Just saying. There are many more options available these days.

Looks just like mine. Been looking into a Beretta APX or S&W 637 or 642 but inventory in NJ is thin. Many small shops closed and the Big Box's stopped selling guns. Tough to get anything small and they go quick in the remaining shops, big mark-up also as they claim they are being charged over retail themselves. NJ has a 10 round limit also so if the gun has a higher capacity the shops have to add limiters which adds to cost. Ah if only for the good old days.

Attachments

• 1934 2.jpg
    1934 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Beretta 5.jpg
    Beretta 5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 21
I wouldn’t shoot such a collectible gun that much. Just saying. There are many more options available these days.
The trouble is that there are so many other options available these days but none that are as interesting or desirable as the Berettas. Mine is a 1935 rather than a 1934 but it gets carried far more than my more modern similar sized handguns.

Any recommendations for a "not to expensive" compact 9mm would be helpful, if I can even get a hold of one. Does not have to be a work horse. Looking at reviews of the Sig P365, Ruger EC9S, Beretta APX or even the Taurus G2C. Have the 1934 and a Ruger P85 which is too big. Could go revolver like S&W 637. Have a Colt Trooper 357 4" and a Security Six 357 6". Wish I thought smaller years ago when things were easier to get.

The trouble is that there are so many other options available these days but none that are as interesting or desirable as the Berettas.

And not just Baretta's, any all steel firearm is a gazillion times more interesting than a gob of plastic that's been cooled in a different temporary shape, those can't be made anything but ugly.

But I'm pretty settled on the matter. :)

The trouble is that there are so many other options available these days but none that are as interesting or desirable as the Berettas. Mine is a 1935 rather than a 1934 but it gets carried far more than my more modern similar sized handguns.

Have to agree. I definitely have more than I need for "modern" carry. But my next purchase I'd like to try for "century old carry." Probably a well-made .32 of convenient size. There are several nice options that have remained at reasonable price, and have ergos and trigger beyond what is common these days.

Quality from the past is one thing that can't be injection molded and produced for the masses.

I had a .380 Corto Berretta (Model 1932?) at one time in my youth. As I remember, it was a single action auto but could not be "cocked and locked" inasmuch as the lever on the side was not a safety but a hammer drop which meant that it had to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. That made it so that in order to get the gun to fire, one had to rack the slide instead of just taking the "safety" off. Am I remembering correctly? If so, the design seems to not be conducive for modern concealed carry.

For some reason that I do not really understand, I thought that military Berretta was really a good-looking gun though.

Edit: Looking at the pictures of the Berretta, I don't see a hammer-drop lever... but instead what looks like an awkward safety. I must have been think of the hammer-drop on my Walther P38, not my Berretta. In my defense, it was a long, long time ago (1964 or so).

Last edited:
My 34 is dated 1943 and was a WWII bring back by my FIL. That gun has the NASTIEST slide bite of any gun I have ever fired ripping the web between thumb and forefinger.

“My 34 is dated 1943 and was a WWII bring back by my FIL. That gun has the NASTIEST slide bite of any gun I have ever fired ripping the web between thumb and forefinger.”

You must have really big hands or shoot using a very high hold on the gun IMHO. The slide site pretty high up above the little “ beaver tail”

My 34 is dated 1943 and was a WWII bring back by my FIL. That gun has the NASTIEST slide bite of any gun I have ever fired ripping the web between thumb and forefinger.
I never had slide bite with mine. You would have to have an extremely high hold on it to accomplish that.

Back