Bent K-6x Weaver Scope

Drm50

In a previous post I told of K6 hitting my wife in head bending eye piece. A couple guys
didn't think this possible. As stated in original post she was holding rifle solidly and
was aware of scope position. If any of you have shot pre 64 M-70 FW s you know they
kick decently. Pics of scope where it hit my wife, you can see plainly the bent portion.
Some people never learn that they can't listen with their mouth.
4ea13b8cc9ba1b9ce61e38469d824deb.jpg

Regardless ,I'm more concerned about her than the scope or who did what wrong.

That sort of thing can turn away a new shooter,or take the fun out of shooting,or at least create a persistent flinch.

I am not criticizing the OP,I was not there,I do not know anything about what happened or how.And we all learn some lessons the hard way.

Every chance we get,lets try to see this stuff coming and try to prevent the new shooter from having a bad experience.

I hope that was an aluminum tube.Weaver used to use steel.

Bent Scope

This happened in 1974. It did take awhile to get her to shoot H.P rifles but she
got over it. Her 1st deer hunt in 1977 she got her deer with a 410, 2nd year she
did it again with same gun. The next 5 years she got her deer with a 1100Lt 20g
This is not to mention 100s of ground hogs shot with Hps. If your a vegetarian
you don't want to mess in her garden. She's fair shot with handgun also.

Whoever installed the scope put it too far back for all shooting positions by all people using it.

Proper place is where the smallest/lightest person can just see full field when the scope is forward to the limit that lets that happen in all positions; eye relief is maximum for them but usable. Larger/heavier people can still use the scope easy with a little less eye relief.

Most scopes are mounted for offhand eye relief which is often too little for shooting from a bench, sitting and prone.

Last edited:
Whoever installed the scope put it too far back for all shooting positions by all people using it.
I doubt they anticipated a left-eye dominant shooter using a right hand hold

Back