Bent CVA Mountain Rifle Barrel

I lurk this forum quite a bit and enjoy the great advice that is given. So now it's my turn to ask. I pick up a used 50 cal. Mountain Rifle that was built from a kit. Made in USA on the barrel. When I got to looking at it closer after I got home I noticed the front sight was drifted over to the left. Since the inside of the barrel was pristine I just assumed it wasn't shot much and never got sighted in. So I set it back to center. Well after around 40 rounds through of different weight charges and patch combinations it is back over on the left side. now the short story. I put a straight edge on it and the barrel has a bend to the left. Is there a cure for this? It is a well put together rifle and I would love to have it shoot Straight! Thanks in advance.

It does shoot straight. (Just make sure the sight's pointin' that way. ;) )

More to the point, however, unless the front sight is seriously off kilter when shooting to point of aim, I wouldn't mess with it.

I have a Dixie Mountain Rifle. You can put a long straight edge on it and everything looks good. I had to drift the front sight so far left it was very noticable, so I drifted the rear sight to the right and brought the front sight back to the right some so it looked better. Gunsmith said that the bore was not drilled in alignment with the true axis of the barrel, taking that into account it doesn't have be be out of wack but a very small amount to throw the sights out of alignment, if that makes sense. Anyway whatever the reason when bench rested it will shoot a nice group.

This front sight is way off to the left and very noticeable and with a straight edge is bent some. I have no problem moving the rear sight but would like to get it a little better than what it is now.

I recall a video about a gun manufacturer, and checking and straightening barrels was part of the op production.
If you have access to a press it shouldn't be too hard.

Arbor press or just smack it against a tree like the old gunsmiths did and check the barrel again. BTW, I whacked mine against a table at school. :p

yep , you can wack it or press it to straiten . Just go slow , you don’t want to be going back and forth
as to bores not being true . what you maybe seeing is called run out .
at the muzzle this should be placed either up or down so that the sight can be filed to adjust it .
What was common was to put the run out at the breech and the truest hole at the muzzle

Captchee's got it . . . .

In fact, back in the early '60s, I can remember DGW selling barrels that even stated that . . . that the bore might be off center on one end. They recommended the same thing . . . put the offset end at the breech and the centered bore at the muzzle . . . then adjust for it at the sights.

Back