Benelli SuperSport for trap

Tankist

Hi All,

Just curious, does anyone here use Benelli SS for trap? My understanding is that it's NOT designated specifically as a trap gun. However, can be used successfully for that purpose.

My question is, what sort of modifications, would I need on it, if any, to make it not just a viable, but a great trap gun.

While, I'm at it... I would love to hear about Beretta A400 Xcel (parallel) and how it compares to Benelli SS for trap.

The Benellis tend to be lighter; in some cases up to a pound; and that can make a huge difference when shooting a lot of shells as the fatigue from recoil can start to become painful and annoying.

The Beretta is a gas gun (the Benelli is inertia), so the Beretta uses some of the force to work the action, that helps reduce felt recoil. The Beretta is also heavier to start with. Any gun where you can adjust things so it fits you (and both should have that capability) will definitely help in the felt recoil area.

I use my Benelli Super Sport as a Travel gun ( with airline travel ) so I have one gun with me, that does most everything pretty well...and I will occasionally shoot some Trap with it ...but I'm primarily a Skeet and Sporting Clays shooter.

Its fine for Trap ...I have my Super Sport set up with the optional comb pad so its virtually a parallel comb gun, so it shoots a little flatter than a typical gun setup for Trap where you can "float" the birds over the barrel...

I shoot a Mod choke - and 1 oz of 8's for Trap singles out to the 24 yard line../ I'll switch to 7 1/2's if I move further back.
-------------
My dedicated Trap gun is a Browning Citori XT, 32" barrels ...and at a little over 10 lbs...the weight helps me keep a smooth follow thru. Shooting the Benelli, mine is a 30" barrel but its only a shade over 7 lbs...and when a gun is that light for Trap...the tendancy is to stop your swing or "Swat" at a bird...but you can fix that by putting some weight on it ( 8 oz of lead golf club tape under the forend / and 8 oz inside the stock ) - just tape them in place so you don't foul up your balance point.

Don't worry too much what the marketing depts of various gun mfg's -- say the gun is suitable for...you can do whatever you want with it. Super Sport is a good all around gun in my view ( I have them in a 12ga and a 20ga ) ...use them as Travel guns like I said, a bad weather gun when I don't want to take a good over under out in heavy rain, a training gun ( good for the grandkids or new shooters in general )....

I shoot trap successfully with an 1100 or Wingmaster with field stock dimensions, but I am not dead serious about trap and don't shoot it very often. You CAN use a BB gun, but if you are serious a trap gun is what you should be shooting for trap. A gas semi auto, or a heavy O/U, or single barrel is pretty much the standard for singles trap.

Thanks Guys.

I've been using my Benelli SuperSport for about a year now. My friends and I shoot trap singles exclusively at a local club.

Although a great gun, lately I've been feeling like something is slightly off about it. My best score so far has been 24 with a 22 average. As per Jim's comments, I definitely agree that its light weight makes swingthru's on hard angle shots a lot more challenging. To compensate, I installed a 6oz forend cap made by Briley. That put it just under 8lb. Helped a bit, but still something doesn't feel right.

I tried patterning it and it shoots exactly point of aim when sights are lined up. Normally I aim just below the target with the sights forming a tight figure 8. I typically use a full choke now with good results, although its been some time since I tried a modified or improved modified.

A few things I noticed... When I mount the gun, the sights line up perfectly all on their own. So much so, that I have move the butt of the gun slightly lower on my shoulder to put them in a figure 8. Not sure if I should still be doing that, but I seem to be smashing the plates to bits. One other thing that's been bothering me is having to move my head slightly lower and to the right in order to get into a comfortable shooting position (make good contact with comb). I'm thinking that probably means that I need to upgrade to a higher comb. However, Benelli comb descriptions got me a bit confused - 1) standard, 2) raised comb for target shooting, and 3) extra-high comb for scoped guns, and the fact that current standard comb makes the top of the stock parallel with the barrel which I thought was desired in a trap gun. Furthermore, is Trap considered target shooting?

I haven't even touched the shims. At a loss as to which way to go, up or down.

Anyways, all this second guessing is the reason I brought up the Beretta A400 Xcel, which was my other choice while shopping for a decent entry level trap semi-auto. But having done some additional research there, I now believe that Jim is right about all that crap just being clever marketing. SS is a fine gun, and what I need to do is tweak my SS in order to make it customized specifically for my needs.

Last edited:
To figure out "fit" ..go to the pattern board...and adjust comb pads and shims so the gun hits where you look. ( full choke at a 3" dot at 20 yds or so ). Point is, the gun has to hit where you look. This is the first critical issue ....don't just hope it fits, check it !!

Ideally when you mount a shotgun - you want it lined up where it should be with a figure 8.....you don't want to be "crabbing" into or over on the comb../ old drill...empty gun, indoors --- stand where you are looking across the room at a light switch on wall...gun at your waist in both hands/ take a proper stance - make that switch your hold point......close your eyes, mount the gun-- open your eyes without moving gun ....and if you are not still looking at light switch...the mechanics of your gunmount need work !!

Personally, when I mount a shotgun ( imagine a rectangle ) ....push gun straight out, then move straight up, then move straight back into shoulder and face on comb....do it with your eyes closed 20 times...after each mount - don't move - open eyes & see a figure 8....

Then run light switch drill 20 times....

Run both drills 20 times - every other nite....and before you go to gun club...

Yes Trap is one of the clay target games....?? / so are 5 stand, skeet and supporting clays...

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

As I figured, it sounds like I need to go back to the drawing board. I did some research regarding retaining the services of a gun fitter. Not for the SS, just to have the measurements for future purchases. However, most folks I've spoken with indicated that a consistent mount is key in getting value out of the fitting process.

Therefore, it sounds like I need to do some drilling first.

I did order the target comb though. Lets see how that works. If the the butt still ends up high on my shoulder, I might have to drop the stock a bit.

Last edited:
When I mount the gun, the sights line up perfectly all on their own. So much so, that I have move the butt of the gun slightly lower on my shoulder to put them in a figure 8. Not sure if I should still be doing that, but I seem to be smashing the plates to bits. One other thing that's been bothering me is having to move my head slightly lower and to the right in order to get into a comfortable shooting position (make good contact with comb)

It seems like you are trying to fit yourself to the gun instead of the other way around.

The pattern board will tell you what needs tweaking. Whatever semi you go with, be nice to your squadmates and use a shell catcher.

Or just a "rubber band" around the receiver works too ...to stop the spent shells from smacking the shooter to your right...

( most of the clip on shell catchers ..scratch up the receiver..:( ...)

Luckily for me, or possibly due to the ammo I'm using, my SS tends to eject spent shells forward and to the right. Well clear of the next shooter in line.

Just finished installing my new "target" comb and I must say, it feels a lot better. Sights end up in a figure 8 all on their own. No need to adjust at all. Gun feels a lot more comfortable and there is not longer any need to move it down on the shoulder.

Won't know for sure until I try it out. But so far, I would say that things are looking up.

Back