Benelli Super 90 M1

Mike Spight

I have a stock pre-ban Super 90 and am interested in having a Vang-Comp system installed. However after visiting Vang's web site, I learned two things: Benelli is barrel is supposedly too thin and "overbored" for this modification and that I would have to send the piece to GG&G in Arizona. There (for a mere $750.00) GG&G will remove the barrel chamber extension piece from the stock barrel, attach same to a new, custom made barrel of their manufacture, install express sights and ship to Vang for boring, comp, etc. What do you think? Is it worth it or are there other alternatives that are less painful/expensive? I'm tempted to stay w/stock barrel. Any of you had this done by GG&G and Vang? How's the accuracy/performance? Is it that much better? I'm not real comfortable with cutting off barrel chamber extension from stock barrel and attaching it to a new barrel. Also, do express sights provide improved CQB performance over standard ghost rings...GG&G is hot on express sights with this modification. Thanks for your help/insights.

I am thrilled with my Super 90 just he way it is with a 21 inch barrel and interchangable chokes. I leave the Modified choke in generally and get good solid groups out to about 20 yards with BuckShot. In my house, that is all I will ever need. When I have had it in my truck for defensive purposes I have kept the full choke in it.

I can't see spending as much, or more, on a new barrel as you did on the gun in the first place.

STOP!!!Move away from the shotgun!!!Don't do it!!I've already got one that doesnt work, just bought a new stock barrel for it. I traded for a pre-ban M1 with exactly the modifications that you're considering, it works fine with slugs and 3 3/4 dram loads, anything else is 50/50. Mine had MMC sights, blade front, ghost ring rear. I bought the stock ghost ring sight barrel, it has a shielded post front sight which, for me is much quicker than the tall blade.The people at Benelli say that any time you start taking recoil away, even to the extent of having a sidesaddle with 6 shells on the receiver, you start edging toward malfdom (new technical term).

I have to agree wholeheartedly with that last bit. I have a side saddle and extended tube, I get about 1 in 20 failures to eject after about 100 rounds during sporting clays or 5 stand unless I use heavy target loads or clean/lubricate the action.

These guns are made for combat/hunting loads, not super light stuff.

Rob/motorep: Thanks for the input...you both made some good points...I'll probably stick w/stock bbl as I don't have any trouble making rapid, follow-up shots anyway...absolutely correct on the ammo point...the Super 90 is a FIGHTING weapon...doesn't work well with low brass loads or with stuff hung all over it that somehow reduces effectiveness of the recoil operated system.

I have just purchased a side saddle for my M3 Super 90 Combat. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, do you really feel it has effected the reliability of the gun? And I am glad I read the info on the Vang Comp as I was considering it as well. Thanks..

Be careful about over-tightening the side saddle... too tight and it will "squeeze" the reciever, affecting the reliability.

But, when it is a littel loose, you have to keep an eye on the screw... The best solution is to find a tightness that keps the saddle from rattle around or moving at all, but doesn't squeeze the receiver, then loc-tite the thing down.

-Rob

Hans Vang did the whole routine to my super 90. Now it is a SUPER SUPER 90. Works like a watch, Vangerized, new barrel, mmc, etc. no complaints at all. A lot of cops have shot mine at the LETC and like'd it. It is like a pistol though, you must provide a FIRM foundation for it to work. my ole 121s (my favorite benelli) are a little more forgiving. I've had folks who couldn't shoot the S90 (before and after the vangerization) Did not offer a stable platform. limp shoulder I guess.

------------------
Vinny

[This message has been edited by olegunftr (edited March 06, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by olegunftr (edited March 06, 1999).]

Olegunftr,
Do you know of any spare parts suppliers for the 121s besides GPC? I really like mine but don't have any spare springs, firing pins,etc.

Since Beretta took over Benelli, they might have better service. Hans has some spare parts and he might be willing to sell you some. You will have to ask him.

------------------
Vinny

WARNING - the Sidesaddle will intefere with the operation of the pump action on the M3. The attachment pin hole needs to be moved forward on the Sidesaddle about 5/8" in order to allow the forearm to cycle completely. This will position the Sidesaddle further aft on the gun, no problems in the new location.
the fix is a ten minute job for someone who knows what they are doing.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

My two cents on the Benelli M1Super90.

Had one with ghost ring sights and assorted chokes. Used during a wide variety of tactical problems, I found it to be mostly reliable. And that was the problem. I thought it sensitive to hold and ammunition.
Got much worse with a side saddle, something the company was dead set against using.
I also learned that the LAPD SWAT uses 3 inch magnums and an on duty gun smith to insure reliability. A less then precise grip also resulted in stoppages.

All of that ceased to be a problem when I went to a Rem 870 w/ Vang Comp barrel. Now the major limitation is the human factor.

The Benelli is nicely built and priced, but for going in harms way at work, teaching others and being secure at home, I'll take the Vang Comp 870 every time.

Anthony- the nice people at Benelli will tell you that anything you do that will reduce recoil - adding weight is one - can affect the M1s reliability. On another note, if you do decide to use a buttstock mounted shell carrier, how do you shoot it left-handed if you have to ?

Back