Benelli options

I have a mossberg 500 and Mossberg 930. I have decided to go with just a single semi-auto and I am considering selling the Mossbergs and buying a benelli. I had an issue from box on the Mossberg and I had to send it back. Have not test fired since returned, so I have to take it out once more and there is a chance I ill fall in love and forget the sour taste it left in my mouth, but if not they both go.

The problem I am having is Benelli has SO MANY options with seemingly very little difference. I understand the M2, M3, M4, differences and I know of those the M2 is what I want. What has me confused is the Montefeltro, Vinci, Black Eagle, Cordoba, Legacy, Ethos, SSuper Sport, etc.

I want the inertia drive and I want a finish that will work well for hunting, defense, etc. I also greatly prefer the comfortech stock. Either a camo finish or black. Not bluing. Wood would be OK, but synthetic is probably better. I don't want to pay extra for engraving or a delicate finish on this gun. I can buy an O/U or something for clays later if I need to.

Does the "modularity" of the Vinci limit me to a single barrel or is it compatible with another model?

It seems like either the Vinci or M2 fit my need the best. I would like to narrow it down to see if I can find a way to shoo these before I make the change.

Couple of things...

a. Comfort Tech is only available in synthetic stocks / they can't put it in a wood stock. When you have the gel comb insert as part of the comfort tech ...then they sell inserts with 3 different heights...so with the shims between the stock and the receiver ...you can adjust the fit. Same thing on the recoil pads...they have left and right handed and different thicknesses to adjust length of pull.

b. Benelli's wood stocks will give you about 20% more recoil - than a synthetic stock with the comfort tech system in it, in my opinion.

c. Decide what chamber length you need...is 3" enough / or do you think you have to have a 3 1/2" ...( 3" is enough for anything I need ) / pick the model accordingly.

The Benelli semi auot that does everything I need it to do ...is the Super Sport...I use it for a travel gun, as a one gun does everything pretty well, inclement weather included ( when I don't want to travel with a nice Over Under)...and its a good upland bird gun too. It comes with 5 chokes -makes it versatile...and in a 30" barrel its still only about 7.2 lbs...

First thing you need to know is what stock dimensions Fit you...then pick a model accordingly / some have shims, some don't / some come with 5 chokes - some don't / what barrel length do you want / weight / drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull ...and is it adjustable...or not. On most wood stocks about the only adjustment is shims ...but many wood stock models do not even have that option.

I also like the Super Sport for a do a bit of everything gun. With the comfort tech stock it shoots softer, for me, than most of my gas guns.

Benelli announced just yesterday an over under with a walnut stock, a gel comb, aluminum receiver, and a different recoil absorbing system called "Progressive Comfort". The MSRP on some models if $50 more than the Super Sport.

I used an M1 Super 90 for a number of years and that was a great gun, used it on ducks as well as clays and it very rarely let me down. With target loads it didn't like it would fail to cycle but like I said, not often.
Traded up to a Cordoba last year and that works really well for me, has lifted my Clays score up by prob 10, it fits well and unlike my friends M2, it hasn't had any trouble with the light loads.
I'd highly recommend one for ducks also:) Excellent Shotgun!

$600/50% price difference between M2 and super sport. That will be hard for me to justify.

In a perfect world I would have two barrels. One 18 to 20 inches and one 26"

The more adjustable synthetic stocks would be best.

They have something like 90 models of 12ga inertia drive semi-auto shotguns...

They have something like 90 models of 12ga inertia drive semi-auto shotguns...
And everybody is going to tell you why the one they like best, is best. The same thing happens whenever someone asks about anything from a single shot to a high end double barreled shotgun. There is no simple or foolproof way for anyone else to tell you what is really best for you.
I will take your word on the number of models; I've never counted.

Before you focus on cost....look at what suits your needs / and most importantly what "Fits" you ...

Buying a shotgun at any price ...that doesn't meet your needs / or worse yet, doesn't "Fit" you is clearly a waste of money.

"Fit" is a complex issue in shotguns...meaning it "hits" where you look - since your eye is the rear sight --- so length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel...are all really big factors.

I don't know that anyone answered your question.

Does the "modularity" of the Vinci limit me to a single barrel or is it compatible with another model?

I don't know the answer but flagged it for anyone that does. If it takes other barrels, check their cost and availability.

One word of caution, if you get a Benelli, be sure its what you want and really need. My first Benelli was a M-1 Super 90, marked "HK". It was used for all kinds of matches, "Bowling Pin", "Pie Plates", "Pepper Poppers", and anything else the host gun club could think of for a side match. I would shoot about 350 rounds thru it month with little to no maintenance (a little WD-40 inside & outside :o). They are great shotguns!!!

The only problem with them is if you change you interests, there isn't any factory/importer support. Example, I wanted to drop the "Run&Gun", and shoot Skeet. The price of a new longer M-2 barrel ($465 to $535.00) and forarm ($75 to $85.00) was pretty high and it took 3 months for delivery.

The old Super 90 is still my house gun with it short 20" barrel, and wares a 26" barrel to the skeet range monthly...

Last edited:
Barrel prices on semi-auto shotguns is killer in general. The 11-87 I had wasn't much cheaper. I already checked corson barrels and their selection is pretty limited.
If you go to Benelli's site and filter for 12ga and inertia drive it returns 90 results.

Either the M2 or Vinci with "Quadrafit" stock should have adjustment that will make it fit me, right?

Last edited:
If costs are a concern at all and you even think you might want an extra barrel, I suggest you check prices. Beretta and Benelli extra barrels are very expensive in my book.

Extra barrels ...for all mfg's....are not inexpensive. But when you decide to go with the concept of one shotgun has to be ok for everything ...there has to be trade offs....especially if you're looking for a tactical weapon.

Maybe you should keep one of your current guns...and go with something new for hunting and clays.../ and while in general, in my opinion, any shotgun can be used for defense...it may not be an optimal "fighting" shotgun ...but Defense and Fighting shotguns are 2 different animals in my view. ( and shotguns are way too clumsy in my view for home defense --- even with short barrels )...if I wanted a pure Fighting Shotgun, I'd go with the Benelli M-4...and for general hunting, field use, clays...my choice is the Super Sport.

Does the Vinci have enough adjustment to "Fit" you, its hard to say for sure...but out of the box with the shims they provide, no probably not...so you will probably have to invest in one of the optional comb pads or optional recoil pads...or both - to maximize the adjustability - and they're about $ 100 each / and then, along with the shims, it should be ok.

But even in the clay target games...most of us select different guns, with different characteristics for Trap vs Skeet or Sporting Clays. For Trap in general, I want a heavier and longer gun ( 32" or 34" barrels and around 10 lbs )....for a general purpose gun (skeet, sporting, upland birds) in an O/U I like a gun with 30" barrels and around 8.5 lbs.....for the Super Sport, I went with the longer barrel 30" ( making it more like an O/U with 32" barrels ) because its so light at 7.2 lbs...with the 28" barrel, to me, it was too whippy..so I like the extra length, giving me a longer sight plane, to smooth out my swing with the lighter gun...../ but this is what suits me ---- what suits you, might be very different...so you have to figure all this out / talk to a lot of guys, shoot a variety of guns if you can ...before you buy.

Extra barrels for some semi-auto shotguns are so expensive that I would seriously consider getting a second gun with the barrel length I wanted before I bought a separate barrel.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shop/barrels
Not cheap, but not far off from the Remingtons. I am not sure what the delivery time is or anything like that.

I am hunting and shooting clays less and less. WIth PCC now allowed in ohio for deer one of the main sporting uses of my shotgun is gone. I really can't afford to spend what I once did on trap and clays competitive. One summer of competing locally costs more than the guns and barrels in question.

I really wouldn't mind dumping money into a shotgun if it worked well.

As always, I will buy what I can used and hope to break even if it doesn't work out.

Barrels for most guns will typically run half the cost of the gun as they are half of the gun in the first place

As Big Jim stated, FIT is paramount and involves more than just LOP. There is drop at comb, drop at heel, cast on or off, pitch, toe in or out, etc......

If the gun doesn't fit you, it becomes a very expensive tomato stake.....:eek:

Regardless of their cost, Benellis are just beautiful, and worth every dime.

I have a Benelli M4 that is the M1014 variant, and it's just a beauty to shoot.

Back when I was a poor student, as part of my efforts to fund my tuition, I sold my H&K stamped Benelli convertible pump/semi shotgun that was imported with a full length tube. I still regret selling that gun, as I have never seen that exact version again.

Benelli!

I know fit is important and know a little about fit. That being said, how many use short tac scatter guns that fit terribly? The importance of fit varies with use. I've felt pretty good taking shots at pheasants with guns that aren't quite perfect.

If I try to shoot at any sort of competitive level I would probably get a dedicated gun. I don't think any semi-auto is going to compete with something like a BT99 at trap.

Back