Benelli Nova pump

I respect them and have tried hard to like them. They might be the toughest, most durable gun made. They are also the heaviest of all the commonly available pumps and handle kinda like a 4X4 post to me. I've had a couple and while I respected they way they are built, I just plain shoot my 870's and Benelli M-1's much better. Maybe if I were not used to other guns and had started on the Nova I might like it better.

Nothing wrong with the Benelli Nova or Super Nova pump guns ....yes, they're reliable and durable....and I think they spec out to around 8 lbs with a 28" barrel.

I prefer the Browning BPS - pump guns / like the Hunter model ...but they have a lot of models....they're good solid long term guns as well ...and a few ounces lighter than the Benelli pump guns...

But picking a shotgun is about "Fit" so the gun hits where you look ....stock dimensions - length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel, etc....

I got mine about 12 years ago when I was in the market for a cheap slug gun. At that time the Moss 500 and Rem 870 were sold out in my area due to the season being a couple weeks out so it was my only choice. It has been great in all sorts of weather and has been replaced by a Rem 11-87 for deer but is still used for water fowl and home defense. I have 3 barrels for it and my only complaint is that the pump for end is a little loose and can jiggle a little if not held so would cause noise if a deer were around. I lined the rail runners with thin felt and that cut it by 50% with no decrease in performance even in snow/rain. I don't know if they have changed much in the past 12 years but I'm happy with my purchase.

Reliable, durable, noisy and clunky are all good descriptions in my opinion. My son uses one and he loves it. I used one opening day for doves a while back and I came away impressed with it. It shouldered well, it shot well, and while it weighs more than I'm used to it felt like a "quick" gun.

I bought a 20ga for my wife to hunt with about 8 years ago. She likes it but has since moved on to a benelli auto loader. It is now relegated to HD and duck duty for me, and is the go to loaner gun. If you adjust the action bars via the Allen screws on the sides they are actually just as quiet or quieter than the old moss500s I grew up shooting. I've never had a single malfunction with the gun, has run flawlessly since day 1.

-scott

Back