Benelli M1 vs. Beretta 1201FP

robins

I need input with this decision. I'm about to get my first defensive shotgun and have narrowed down my choice to the Benelli and the Beretta. I'd like to hear from folks who own either and their recommendations.

Plus, what's a good price for a NIB for both?

Have some Benellis and am very satisfied. Have always wanted to get a 1201 except for one thing. I hate that flimsy looking rear sight. They are considerably cheaper though.

I've seen :
M1's ~$800 and up
M3's ~$900 and up
1201s ~$500-$600
(Post-bans)

- Ron V.

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited March 17, 2000).]

I have a 1201. Great scattergun, and really light, something like 6.5 lbs. However, if you do get one, fire the reduced recoil OO Buck and slug rounds. They feel so much better than the standard velocity rounds. The plastic stock digs in nicely when shooting the full power loads. But I agree on the sights, it is not just the rear, but the front is too small as well. But it is still a good SG. Benelli parts work on it as well.

www.benelliusa.com

M1 14" bbl.

m1e-big.gif

M1 18" bbl.
m1tm-big.gif

Can't find a pix of the M4 but I'm looking at it in the new catalog. Sweet.
Blackie

The main advantage of the Benelli M1 is its interchangeable chokes and the availability of sporting length barrels. However, this is only important if you intend to use your shotgun for hunting and/or competition, in addition to self-defense.

Other than that, I'd say that the Beretta 1201 is a fine choice. It is for all intents and purposes a Benelli M1 with Beretta markings. With the main exceptions of the barrels, magazine tubes, and carrier stop/cartridge drop levers, the majority of parts should be interchangeable. In fact, Benelli supplies some of the parts to Beretta. (Beretta has had a financial interest in Benelli for some time, and finally bought the company a few years back.)

I love my preban 1201FP3 with the pistol grip, etc. I know a guy at Benelli/Beretta (they're next door to each other in Accokeek who verified they're basically the same gun.

There is a new pre-ban Benelli M1 S90 selling for $875 on Tom Bower's Board right now. Good price. Just thought you might be interested.

I have a Benelli (as do two other of my friends) and another friend has a Beretta 1201FP.

As has been mentioned, they are basically the same action, with slightly different control placement (the shell release, most notably). Beyond that, I think the 1201FP comes with a 6 shell capacity tube and the Benellis with the extended tubes and 18.5" barrels have a 7 shell capacity.

My buddy got his 1201FP NIB for $459. My Benelli M1S90 (post-ban) with ghost rings, interchangeable chokes and 7 shot extension was $699.

HTH,

Justin

Just made that same decision myself. I chose the Beretta; $300 less for the same basic SG. I shot it for the first time today, great accuracy, light weight, fast handling. Down sides? Small & SHARP!! rear sight, small front sight, ande it wants to shoot more than I can handle. I can spend the extra money on more ammo and a new recoil pad.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

Back