Benelli M1 Super 90 ?

Rob62

I just traded for one of the subject line shotguns. Mine has 18.5" bbl with iron sights, not the ghost ring though. Th rear sight is on the barrel. Gun has extended magazine tube and magazine band. Looks like the M1 Tactical #11200 but without the integral sling swivel in the butt stock. Also the mag extension goes to the end of the bbl. Gun is in about 95% condition.

So my question is what should I have paid for this gun. Anyone have a good idea of what these are selling for. Doing some research it seems like most are in the $550-700 range. I don't quite have that much tied up into it so I believe I got a good deal.
(Edited for spelling & below addition)

I'm going to the gun show in Springfield MO today and will check out the prices there. Problem is that one usually doesn't see to many Benelli's in the used gun racks.

TIA,
Rob

[Edited by Rob62 on 05-19-2001 at 08:26 AM]

At the last gunshow I attended I saw one with the pistol grip stock and ghost ring sights and an asking price of $829.00. I'd say you did pretty good

preban?

It seems odd to me that it doesn't have the sling swivel in the buttstock. Does it have a pistol grip and mag extension both? I would check the serial # with benelli. It may be a preban and worth considerably more.

bkm...

The M1s and M3s should have sling slots integral with the stock on both sides from the factory. Did the gun have an aftermarket stock on it? On the other end, there should be a sling slot ring near where the extended magazine tube screws onto the internal mag of the gun. Is the mag extension aftermarket? The extended mag for the M1/M3 should be stepped where the mag/barrel band attaches. The band should not have a sling swivel stud as the aftermarket ones have.

#11200 is straight stock (no pistol grip). A serial number check would be of benefit to see what you can modify on the gun.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get in touch with Benelli tomorrow to see if they can give me any more info from the serial number.

The butt stock is factory Beenelli (recoil pad is marked "Benelli") It has a conventional pistol grip such as found on the standard Remington 870's. This stock does not have the sling swivels/sling slots built into the side of the stock. It does have an Uncle Mikes type sling swivel stud near the toe of the stock (up about 4 inches towards the grip). The seller supposedly has a true pistol griped fixed stock, along with other spare parts, that he will give me as soon as he finds it.

I don't know if the mag extension tube is factory or aftermarket. The magazine extension is interesting in that there is a slightly stepped in portion about half way down its length where the barrel band sits. This seems like a good set up as the barrel band would be less likely to slide. (hksigwalther is this what you meant?) The barrel band is a conventional 2 piece type a the screw in the middle holding the 2 pieces together, it has a rather large head/screw slot, the screw head is knurled on the outside, making it seem like it was designed to be easily tightened with fingers. (No sling swivel stud here)

I wipped everything down yesterday and am planning on taking it to the range in another hour or so. I plan on shooting a variety of ammo through it to see how it does. I'll post my comments back to the threat.

The gunshow in Springfield yesterday was pretty good. I got a few good deals on some odds and ends: "OO" Buckshot $7.49 for a box of 25. Uncle Mikes shoulder holster $20. S&B 9mm ammo packed loose @$4 per box, only had 2 boxes though. Benelli choke tube $15. I saw 2 Benelli's for sale there, an M1 and an M3, both where being sold new and in the $800 range.

There were some police trade in Glock 22s selling for $395, with night sights and 1 10 round mag. Post ban AR's were selling in the lower $700 range and there were a few pre ban AR's with a cherry Colt SP1 selling for $1250

Plus there was a table set up to sign a pettition for Missouri CCW. This will be the 3rd time that Missourians have tried to get CCW passed. Last time was a few days after Columbine, talk about bad timing. Hopefully CCW will pass this time.

Rob

I followed the link above and believe from what I read that the Benelli I have is a post ban gun. I'm still calling customer service for a check of the SN. Which opens up a bunch of things I haven't even thought about. I'm familiar with the rifle provisions of the 1994 Crime Bill but not the shotgun section. I'll have to get up to speed on it fast. I already removed the magazine tube extension as I believe that it, along with a true pistol grip stock would make it fall into the not allowed catagory.

That would mean I'll probably have an extra stock to sell when and if I get the other one.

I took the gun out and shot it a few hours ago. I fired about 100 rounds of assorted ammo. Everything from low brass 2.75" #8 field loads up to 3" slugs. The gun fired flawlessly. I can see why Benelli's are the Rolla Royce's of shotguns. My one and only complaint is that the trigger is somewhat "crunchy". Maybe there's some grit or dirt in there, but the trigger pull isn't as clean and crisp as I expected it to be.

All the slugs fired almost exactly to point of aim with the iron sights. The POI is so close to the POA that I'm not adjusting anything.

For now I'm gonna wipe the gun down and put it away. I'll give it a thorough cleaning once I get the manual for it.

Again thanks for all the comments.

-------------

I just checked out the law regarding post ban shotguns:

In a nut shell its a dreaded assault weapon if its:

A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two(2) of the following features-

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously below the action of the weapon
a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five (5) rounds
an ability to accept a detachable magazine

So if in fact it turns out that my gun was made post 9/94 then I have 2 options. Option 1 - leave it as its set up. Meaning I will never be able to put the true pistol grip butt stock on. Something I really wanted to do. Option 2 - put on the pistol grip butt stock and remove the mag extension or replace with one that only allows the gun to hold 5 rounds in the tube. Actually, there is an option 3 - put the pistol grip stock on anyway. But then would I have to arrest myself ? :-( (Actually not an option just a joke. Being active in L.E. I would not knowingly break the law.)

Rob

[Edited by Rob62 on 05-20-2001 at 05:34 PM]

Back