Benelli 14" Entry M1Super 90

racine

I will be moving to Oregon and understand that you are allowed to buy and own these shotguns? I have long considered my 21" Rem. 1100 reliable enough for practical shotgun courses of fire but believe shorter would be better for house defense. Anyone care to comment on the legality of these short barreled tools for the modern home in say Portland??? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your comments...
TR

------------------
TR

A shotgun with a barrel length under 18" is an NFA weapon, and requires the same type of paperwork and permit as a full-auto. Is it worth all the hassle to you to lose 4" on barrel length?

Dick

we use the m1-90 14" entrygun at work.
it is very nice. it likes hot ammo with at least 1 1/8 oz loads. the length is nice especially in confining areas such as hallways. definately worth the money.
i personally have an 18" m1-90 for my home, but will someday get a 14" entrygun like we use at work. the 14" 870 is slightly shorter, but the benelli's action is definately faster and lower recoiling
mooser http://defensive.edge.home.att.net

If a shotgun came with a barrel under 18" (never had an 18" or longer on the receiver) it is classified as an AOW (any other weapon) and is subject to a $5 tax to ATF. If the shotgun was converted from an 18" or longer, it is available for a $200 tax. I've found that all NFA weapons command a higher price than their 18" counterparts.

The short barrels are surely nice for maneuvers in close quarters. Our SWAT Team doesn't even use shotguns anymore and have gone to the MP5 for entry work.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses. I will weigh the pros and cons of a this versatile tool in light of its higher price tag and the newer responsibilities that come with it. Though many of us would jump at the chance of an MP5, I am one of those that cannot justify the cost let alone the scrutiny I am told ATF gives you upon ownership. Alas, I'll have to deal with the memories of my years in the service when I'd fly through 400 rds or light up the night sky keeping in the back of my mind that power was nothing without control( but still enjoying the moments).

Shoot Straight and Safe,
TR

------------------
TR

racine, that "scrutiny" you mention is one of the primary reasons I sold my full-auto a few years back. I just didn't like the idea that the feds could come at any time, without a warrant, and ask to see the gun. Who knows what else they might see that is not up to snuff?

Dick

If you have the money, go w/the 14inch M1. The shorter barrel length does make a different inside a residential structure. I use a modified 870P w/an 20 inch (should've had Robar cut it back to 18, but I forgot) only because we can't carry the 14. The balance of the gun is superb and as long as you use hot loads the gun will cycle flawlessly. From the factory the gun is set up quite nice. You only have the $200 tax stamp and a little paper to worry about. All in all worth it.

Back