Benchrest Front Rifle Rest

patkinson

Inactive
Does anyone have an opinion of what they think is a good benchrest rifle rest that doesn't break the bank and is heavy enough and well made enough for benchrest shooting? Many say the Caldwell 1000 is made rather sloppy.

I use one of Joe Cowan's rests for F-Class. Extremely well designed and built, priced exceptionally well, and built by high school kids with the proceeds going to support their program. Here's a link (I hope) to some more info on them as well as pics:
http://team40x.com/page10.html

if you want contact info feel free to PM me.

Eric

Well, there's the Farley (grin...)

I've shot over one of those, a Hoehn adjustable top on a Hart base, and a Sinclair adjustable top on a Hart base.

Personally, I like the Farley (grin...)

But if I was going for #2, I'd probably go with the Hoehn/Hart combination, with a "standard" 3" bag on the top instead of the small ones that some folks like.

A solid rest with no slopiness in the adjustments doesn't necessarily have to be made from machined steel/aluminum and cast iron.

This is a rest that I made from oak, adjustable for windage and elevation. It is solid as a rock, and has no slopiness in the adjustments.

I used a prototype of this rest to win first place in the sporter class at a rimfire benchrest match at the Riverside Gun Club, Richfield, nc a couple of months ago. I shot a 990-29x using a stock CZ 452 Trainer and SK standard Plus ammo. I would have done better, except that on one of my cards, I had set my timer for 10 minutes instead of 15, and at some point I looked at it and thought that I only had 1 minute left to shoot 15 targets, so I just sort of blasted the remaining targtets, and dropped 6 points there.

Attachments

• DSC00343.JPG
    DSC00343.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,643
  • DSC00342.JPG
    DSC00342.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • DSC00345.JPG
    DSC00345.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Buzz a really nice rest. well made and nicely finished.
A coupla years ago I was at a car swap & shop, lo and behold whit did I see, a large clump of cast iron - the twenty dollar bill was smokin when it landed in the guy's hand. That's all he wanted for a used Ransom rest. All it needed was some cleaning a oiling, the forearm rest bag was in perfect shape. Looked it up on Midway and they want over $600 for it. Tom F.

Back