Benchmade vs Cold Steel - My Take...

gryphon

I was looking for a new carry blade. I did a lot of research on line at the knife companies web sites. I looked for prices online. I went to bladeforum, TFL, 1911forum, anywhere people might be discussing knives. I want a blade that I can use for utility if need be, but to have as an option in a self defense situation. It had to have a 3.5" blade or bigger, but not exceeding 4.5", it had to be a folder with a tanto-like blade, and it had to be under $100.

Went to a little shop not far from where I live. They carry just about every brand that you can think of and some I've never heard of before.

First thing I learned is that the pictures you see online can be deceiving. Like buying a firearm, there really is no alternative other than to handle them and try them out.
I finally made up my mind through my research to go with Benchmade, United Cutlery, or Cold Steel. They all had something that interested me.

United Cutlery - Heard good things about them, but the store's selection did not have what I wanted so they were disqualified.

Cold Steel - they got a lot of bad press on the online forums. I handled some of their stuff like the Recon 1 and the Voyager. The Voyager, although a nice price, seemed a little clunky in my hands. Was not impressed with it at all. The Recon 1 was nice.

Benchmade - I looked at the mini-stryker and the stryker. Well made, felt nice, not used to the liner lock, which seemed a little awkward. I'm used to the lockbacks.

After it was all said and done, I decided on the Benchmade 910S Stryker. Out of all three it felt the best to me. The Recon 1 was a close second, but I'm not big on the teflon coating and it seemed like it weight almost twice as much as the stryker. The price was nice as well, I got it out the door for the same price as the cheapest place online. The LifeSharp service was a big bonus as well. Can't beat paying S&H and getting a factory sharp knife when it gets dull. Anybody know if the other companies offer this?

I might re-post later as I run this thing through the paces. So far seems like a very nice, quality folder.

gryphon

Can't beat paying S&H and getting a factory sharp knife when it gets dull.
Sure you can. You can buy a few good sharpening implements and get the knife sharper than the factory does, whenever you want. ;)

My (personal opinion only) takes on Cold Steel and Benchmade are the following:

Cold Steel: a decent product at a decent price. I dislike knowing, however, that I am contributing to global warming by giving money to Lynn Thompson, and thus enabling him to spout even more hot air. Don't believe the hype...their products are good, but they're not that good.

Benchmade: a better product at a slightly inflated price. Their stuff is good, solid stuff. However, I think spyderco makes knives that are just as good, often in a similar 'style,' for a good bit less. That said, I carry a Benchmade AFCK more often than I carry my spydercos.

Mike

You wont regret your Benchmade. I have a Benchmade AFO with combo blade, and I love it. I bought it at a gun show in NV when I was working there once. Of course since they are not legal in most states, I make sure and keep it in a legal state and just go visit it once in awhile. Wouldn't want to break the law now! :D They are great knives though!

Personally, my favorites were the Spiderco for years. When the large Voyager came out I started taking it with me everyday and everywhere. It has become my favorite of all time. It is not the best steel but very good. I like the size and handle design, especially that the handle is NOT larger than the blade. Most of all I like the weight, thinness and the nice pocket clip. Of all the knives on the market I like it best. However, I am always looking and like you say -- it has to be done in-person. I am unable to make an everyday knife decision without feeling it and checking it out in my hand.

I know there are other more popular knives but the usual DISqualifiers for me are too heavy, too large a handle, and too expensive -- in that order.

I just purchased an Emerson Commander that I'm very impressed with. Great knife. However, I must brag a little on Spyderco. They take absolute care of their customers. Total customer satisfaction that's WAY above and beyond the call of duty. And they make great knives too! :)

In fact, they've really won me over with their stellar handling of a warranty issue. I will be buying Spydies from here on out.

Cheers.

I picked up a CRKT SRT with the carson flipper, gotta say I do like it. It is very fast and the quality seems to be up there with benchmade and spyderco, price wasn't bad.

I own the Benchmade AFCK myself. Liked it so much, I bought one for my buddy before he took off for the Navy. Had his name engraved on it, too, just in case it got "misplaced."

The liner lock is a helluva strong design. I play with mine all the time, so opening and closing it one-handed is a breeze. Like my hockey sticks, my knife feels like an extension of my arm. And I never use my AFCK for everyday stuff--got a SAK for that--so sharpening isn't much of an issue for me.

Hope you like your Stryker as much. ;)

Thanks, kun-POW!

I've used it a couple of times around the office and it has worked admirable so far. Have to say that I am happy with it thus far.

gryphon

Benchmade AFCK

I've had my Benchmade Eclipse 840 (now known as Ascent), for a few years now. Actually, I've had the 830 since my Junior year in highschool, but it was taken away from me. I replaced it with an 840, and it's great!

I'm not really in "need" of a new knife, but I've been looking at AFCK, which now has the Axis lock. I've been hearing about how smooth the knife opens, and how strong the lock is. Also, the steel is D2, but I'm not sure if that's any better or worse than the ATS-34 that my 840 is made of.

Should I switch to the AFCK for my daily carry, and regulate the 840 for "dirty" jobs? One can never have enough knives (or guns)!

Knives were my first love before I was old enough to carry (or afford) guns.

I own several Cold Steel's and Benchmades, and it's always the BM's I'm giving away as presents. I have an AFCK, the Dark Star, Nimravus Cub, the pretty Mel Pardue with rainbow titanium, and I gave Oleg an AFCK, a 910SBT Stryker, and have given away a mini Dark Star. I love those BM's.

I also have a Cold Steel Black Bear Classic, a Safe Keeper II (my "carjacker special"), the Triple Action (dagger blade version), and had a Voyager at one point but got rid of it because of the cheesy plastic pocket clip.

For more economical carry, I love the Spyderco's - they're a great balance on price and quality. I consider them to be more "work knives" that I don't feel bad scuffing up because I didn't pay an arm and a leg to buy it.

For now, I carry my teeny-weeny MOD Ladyhawk.

My everyday, everywhere knife is a Spyderco Jess Horn lightweight. It's so sharp it will take your breath away, and I literally can't feel it in my pocket. Based on my experiences with this one, I'll be getting more Spydercos in the future.

I also got a Benchmade Stryker as a birthday present. It's big and heavy compared to the Spyderco but man, what a knife. Benchmades are like Sigs in my opinion. Probably a little overpriced but you won't complain about the final product.

No experience with Cold Steel but I did just order an "El Hombre" from Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. I always liked the look and it was a $60 knife discounted to $20, so I couldn't resist. If size isn't an issue, check out the Gerber (Thumb) Stud Gator. For $30, it seems like a great deal.

Whatever you choose, and I would highly recommend either Benchmade or Spyderco over Cold Steel, remember the words of Hermes the Persev from "Exposure":
[french accent] "Handle it until it is like an extension of your arm...cling to it like a new lover."[/french accent]

Spyderco makes great stuff, Benchmade makes pretty good stuff, but I hate trying to sharpen my 830 (which, to be fair, is a lower-priced model, but a thinner blade geometry wouldn't have cost anything.) I've never been disappointed with Cold Steel products, though for folders I can't justify going with anyone but Spyderco.

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear good things about United Cutlery?

Don,

Most of the press I received on the United Cutlery stuff was from guys at the shops. I don't know much about them, maybe they were just trying to get ride of them. Don't know.

You will like the Benchmade. I have two of the Elishewitz 9500 auto's. I love them.

I have been pretty abusive of mine and they have help up very well.

I still sharpen like a sissy though. I need to learn how to sharpen a freakin' knife better. It's irritating not knowing how to do that well.

crash.

crash,

that's one of the reasons that the Lifesharp service appealed to me. I know that I should learn to do it, but I honestly don't have the time and no one to teach me.

Buy a spyderco sharpmaker for around 30-40 dollars and watch the video that comes with it. If you do that you will be able to do the equivalent of a factory sharpening with no brain stress and no serious monetary outlay- and do it in about 10 minutes. Of course, getting something truly scary sharp would require more tools and more skills, but once you get to that point you could decide if it was worth it to you to develop them.

I used to think a Lansky rig was fast and easy. The sharpmaker is faster and completely brain-dead. An untrained monkey could do it.

Seriously.

Mike

Another knife to consider is the SOG Vision.
I had one until money issues forced me to sell it. I consider it to be the rolls royce of folders for under 200 bucks.
The only problem is that it's SO NICE, you don't want to take it out and thrash on it.
Hence the newer G-10 scaled Vision... A lot cheaper in price, but not quality.

Back