Bench rest stock dimension needed

William_IV

Gentleman,

Would anyone here be able to tell me what the standard dimension for a typical benchrest stock Would be. I am trying to order a blank of walnut for a home wood working project. I'm not sure what the starting blanks dimension should be. The dimensions I need are the vertical butt plate + rise if any to the top of the reciever. A rough overall length, the thickest part of the stock, and the minimum fore end thickness. Think of the shape as a crude triangle. This is what i'm looking for. Does any one have rough dimensions?

Thanks,
William

There are probably many who know better, so don't quote me directly. But I'm not sure if there are any specific dimensions, min or max on a benchrest stock. An educated guess would be that it's primarily a matter of A0 function of the weapon for the specific bench-style shooting. and B) personal erganomics of the individual shooter.

What my suggestion would be is to pick up some pine "blanks" to fiddle with. Rough them into what you're looking for in the finished piece. Once you have the feel and function that is most comfortable and will operate once everything is mounted, go for the good wood. Special note--once you move onto the good wood, pay particular attention to the grain flow before you start laying out and shaping.

First specify your class - then tell me why wood?

See e.g. Kelby/Six at http://www.kelbly.com/kelblysix.html for pictures of a wide variety of stocks to fit different classes and notions. Might pick a style/class you like and phone and ask them or another maker of true benchrest stocks. Even laminated wood stocks are out of use today - I'd think glue would be the same weight but weight control helps in benchrest.

Notice especially how wide the forend can be to ride the bags. Minimum forend thickness will be an issue depending but the forend thickness at the bottom will likely be the thickest part of the stock.

Hunter class will be different from heavy bench and weight control including distribution is always an issue.

- I'd speculate that the only use for wood today would be recreation of a classic Puget Sound Sniper's Congress period looking rifle?

The forend is always flat and measures 3" wide on the bottom. The current trend is toward "low-rider" stocks that have no pistol grip. Most shooters shoot "free-recoil" so there is no need for a pistol grip. Are you looking to compete in Benchrest matches? If you are, go to www.benchrest.com and read all you can find. Also, the best forum for benchrest shooters is www.benchrest.com/forums.

Jake Hayes

Back