Belt width important with paddle holsters?

Shmackey

Just got a new (to me) Fobus paddle holster for my 1911. It drops in nicely over my everyday belt, which is only about 1.25" wide. Retention seems fine. Is there a reason why I'd need to get a wider belt for it (there's certainly room in the holster)?

In a Safariland paddle, I have found out that I have problems keeping pants up with reg belt. Wider keeps it in place when walking.

Hey, what range in the metro do you use?
Dan

I go to the Silver Bullet in Wheatridge most often. Think it's on 38th between Wadsworth and Sheridan. It's a small place (five bays) but they're good people and you can shoot FMJ or lead. (For some reason, no hollowpoints, which I think is odd.)

I'm going to check out Shootist one day. The only other place I've been is Cherry Creek, which is nice (outdoors).

I wear a 1.75 Wilderness Instructor belt and no matter how tight I cinch it down, the paddle still moves around. No problem with it staying on the belt, it just moves around requiring me to constantly "readjust". If you want your holster to stay put, get a good belt holster.

Shmackey, thanks for the input, we shoot over at Clear Creek County. Outdoors, we just put up with the weather. Have a LOT of LEO shooters, pick up some good tips.
Dan

Shmackey,
I think a belt that fills the recess in the paddle the closest will provide the best support and security. It also helps to have a thick belt that is rigid enough to provide good support. I sometimes carry an Officer's Model in a Fodus paddle rig, using a 1.5" lined Milt Sparks belt. Haven't had any problems with support or security, but I do find that the section of the holster where the pouch attaches to the paddle intrudes a little on my middle finger when I try to get a full grip on the handle to start the draw.

Back