Belt knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZVP

I spent slot of time looking for the right knife.
In a blacksmith shop up in Columbia Ca I bought a custom Bowie about 9 1/2"long with an Austrailian burl wood handle. Beautiful andHEAVY! Too much with a large. Remington revolver!
I looked and looked añd finally found a imitation stag skinner about 9 1/4"but being a modern it's blade it's stainless. 440.
And I guess it could pass for polished...
Nevertheless it's got a full tang and a tooled sheath.
Hope it doesn't look too small for a western rig!

Last edited:
I had me a D-guard 14" Bowie made up for me a couple months back.

I like it, but it's too darn big for belt carry. I'm looking for a rifleman's knife with about a 9-10" blade to use as a backup to my Hawken's rifle and Colt's belt pistol.

Sounds like a great idea! I'm looking for something like this, but with a full crossguard:

00small28276058.jpg

They're pretty easy to make. That one is actually very comfortable to use. Not really practical but would look good with a western or mountain man rig.

Some of mine:

Top one is a throwing knife made out of some heavy steel scrap.
2nd one is a longhunters knife made from an old file. It's carved a few turkeys & roasts in it's life
3rd one is a custom skinner I picked up at a rendezvous a bunch of years ago. Probably my favorite knife
4th on is small belt knife made from an old file. Good general purpose knife.
bottom is a patch knife made from an old file

100_1392.jpg

Sorry, can't. Make pics stick(?) .
Thanks for answering guys!
Those knives are beauty's!
Had leg amputated last May, can't stand cant work in shop 'this why I bought one.
Gonna need to make due for now.
Won't compete, just want a complete rig for when I learn to walk better and can go to shoot in the field...
Life is tough still but I'm not giving up!!!
ZVP

I bought a knife out here in AZ a couple of years ago that really caught my eye. A blacksmith was set up at a farmer's market and had some relaying forgings, etc. The knife I bought from the fellow was made from the blade of an old pair of "sheep shears" - the old scissors type cutters. He cut the blade off leaving about three inches of the shank that goes up to the spring portion of the shears. He took that shank and put it into a nice antler style handle that had a cap on the end made of buffalo horn. The blade does have the slight convex shape but it is as sharp as aa razor. He said he mead the one I bought from him strictly for a belt knife. He said he picks up old sheep shears whenever he can and has used the blades from them to make sone really nice (and expensive!) sets of unique "steak knives". I thought it was a neat knife and pretty typical of something that may have been made from "recycled" iron that could be found in a smithy's scrap pile. It's razor sharp and I have used it to slice homemade bread, roasts, etc. Sorry I don't have a photo of it to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back