Belt carry or other means in all weather?

riddleofsteel

OK
I was standing in front of my lock box the other morning debating which weapon to carry. My current fancy is running between a police trade in P229 in .40 S&W, that I carry in a pancake style belt holster and a MK40 that I carry in a pocket holster.
The breaking point for me is the temperature. I am a big guy and tend to sweat in hot weather. I have never been able to see how people can stand to wear a sports coat or a concealing garment in hot weather. I have carried belt holsters before with just a XXX T-shirt to conceal them but my current thinking is that such a light garment is not enough to do the job.
So here is the question:

What are the majority of you guys/gals doing in the heat? Do you still carry belt style or IWB holsters or do you switch over to alternate carry techniques in summer?
comp-ani.gif

I continue to carry a full-sized pistol IWB; but I always wear a T-shirt as an undershirt and another over that. That is what I always wore growing up in Oklahoma and in the military so it really doesn't bother me to have two layers of clothing in 110 degree heat.

If I wasn't wearing an undershirt I would definitely carry off the belt.

If its really hot I switch to my KelTec P32. I have several methods to carry the P32:
  • Uncle Mike's SIDEKICK #12 ankle holster
  • waist pack/bag
  • Don Hume 002 wallet holster

002.jpg

I carry IWB all year, although I sometimes opt for a lighter-weight .38 detective spcl for carrying on hot days. (I live in Oklahoma, too). I always wear an undershirt, although it is a tank-top style in hot weather. A t-shirt is usually enough to conceal whatever I am carrying, although I share your concern and may try out a belly band this summer.

Oh yeah, I do use a fanny pack from time to time, but it doesn't fit every occasion.

Lets see..In order..

1. Fanny Pack, but mostly when I feel the need to have something larger in size, or need to be able to take it off easily.

2. IWB with a shirt pulled out.

3. Belt holster with a shirt pulled out.

I live in Florida, but previously in Oklahoma and carryied in both places. Some of my failures..

Pager Pal with G27. I calle this my "Pain" pal cause it was a pain in my..well you know..it creaked and squeaked and that fake pager always poked me in the stomach.

Kramer Confidant T shirt holster. If you get the EXACT size you need you are ok, but otherwise it's going to beat your ribs to death.

For the most part my #1 is the fanny pack. Yes, people may know you are armed, but in Florida there are a million tourists also carrying fanny packs, so who cares?

Good Shooting
Red

Man do I know what you mean re Big Guys & Sweating in Hot weather! Often use the oversize T-Shirt or Polo shirt method in the Hot & Humid Summer. Have had good luck with Kydex though perefer leather. Currently using a Ky-Tac "Braveheart" IWB or Cen-Dex IWB or his "Talon" OTB. http://www.cen-dex.com

When it gets really hot here in TN in the summer (9 months out of the year), I usually carry either IWB under an untucked shirt or t-shirt, or concealed in plain sight with a Bagmaster belt pack. It doesn't look like a fanny pack, and it holds a gun the size of a Glock 19/23 with a spare or two.

An alternae method I devised last year for summer carry: a CaseLogic CD player case with a back compartment roomy enough for a Glock 19. It goes on your belt like the Bagmaster case, but looks even more innocent...especially with a small pair of earplug headphones in the mesh pouch on the front of the case.

Living in Oklahoma also, I almost always carry IWB, either a Para P-14 or a J frame airweight. The big thing you have to do is to wear an undershirt. I wear a tight tank top style. I will wear a shirt a little bit to large, my galco is the tuckable model, for the j frame, and I use a milt sparks VM-2 for the Para.
Look into mexican wedding shirts and hawaiin shirts to wear untucked. They look great and are not out of place in most areas in the hot weather.

Another method I have used is to use a bag that many people around here carry on a daily basis. It is a embroidered cloth bag that is normally used to carry a bible in. I have had a tiny bit of padding and a holster for my .45 sewn into it. It is not at all uncommon to see these bags around daily. It is not nearly as quick as a holster but is almost as quick as a fanny pack. Just don't leave it somewhere on accident.

Mexican wedding shirts

Hilo Hatties

.38 snubbie in a smart carry (groin) all year unless I am riding the bike which means I am wearing a leather vest with a Beretta 92FS concealed in an inside pocket.

Terry.

BTW, that smart carry is the most comfortable holser I have found yet.

Summer Wear

I carry a full size handgun (1911A1 or Hi-Power) in an IWB holster. I wear a tucked t-shirt, and an untucked short sleeve shirt (heavier weave, to minimize printing). I'm 5-11 and 165#. Yes, I sweat with both a t-shirt and a short sleeve shirt on. But I also sweat when I'm wearing just a t-shirt (plus pants, of course!) during the summer, so it's not like I'm cooking myself by adding another layer. I'm quite comfortable, actually.

I also like the Bagmaster fanny(snap and velcro)pack. It lies flatter against the stomach and looks smaller than the average carry pack. Sturdy and secure and it has a lifetime warranty. Good to wear for all activities and I've never been "made". See it at

http://www.bagmaster.com/

I also like the summer vest made by Concealed Carry Clothiers with my IWB or OWB holsters. Sturdy, but light, and it doesn't print. It comes with a pocket holster (for pocket guns) or pocket mag pouch that is also handy for OC spray, combat flashlight or mag. See it at

http://www.concealedcarry.com/

Hip Grip is a good option

Most of the time I carry IWB (always wear a
t-shirt) with a light shirt not tucked in. Conceals well, takes care of persperation, and is comfortable. When, and if, it gets really hot I carry a S & W 442 with a Barami Hip Grip. Very light, very comfortable, and very reliable.

Back