Belly Bands for 1911?

EQUALIZER

I was able to find some heavy elastic recently. I wrapped it twice around my upper abdomen over a T-shirt and under a button up. It seemed comfortable, but had several problems that might? be solved by the real McCoy.
a) The butt of the gun tended to print badly unless I shifted the gun muzzle down under my weak arm, (which slows draw), and must be reeeeched for.
b) Each time that I sit down, the gun would be pushed up and out of the position.
c) It would fall out of the top of the band when bending over.

I'm wondering if a hand boned holster sewn into the band would offer more security while allowing a draw. If I can solve these problems, I'll change to this carry style w/taylor made shirts that allow draw.

For those of you who use belly band rigs for cc with 1911s, I need to know the following:

1. Do you have any problems with comfort?

2. Do you have problems with the gun falling out when you bend over?

Can you give me some details for what you like about this choice.

i got the belly band for my makarov, it works great for that gun. when i bought my kimber compact, i had a few problems
1) cocked and lock the hammer and safety dug into my skin cause the holster ends where the band ends
2) the grip prints, even though its shorter than a standard, its still longer than my makarov
what might work is angling the holster part of the rig (that is, take the holster off and re-sew it on). I'd like to have the grip pointing toward my right shoulder.
also, weapon retention is acheived by shoving the gun all the way in the holster, then pulling up your pants so that your belt buckle is right over the trigger and gaurd where it meets the grip.
leather holsters are nice, but, for me, you always wind up with almost 1/2 inch thicker bulges in your waistband.
let me know what you decide

Fridge21,

Do you mean that you have the gun directly in front, angled like a crossdraw, with the butt of the grip tucked a little bit under the belt? Or do you mean, "Thunderwear" style with the muzzle pointed straight down? This sounds like a very concealable method, IF I'd take off 25-30pounds. ;) Do you have any problem with the gun getting squeezed up out of the holster pocket when you bend over?

robert

uh huh, i wear it angled, with the rear sight just about under my belt and the grip stickin out.
it is a good carry for me, i can tuck my shirt in or whatever, it is undetectable, the kimber is light, the band has room for 2 spare magazines.
but, i am on the thin side (for now at least, lol)...
no, i have no trouble with the gun comin out of the holster. its a very secure carry mode.
even if you can't carry your gun exactly the way i carry mine (by the way i've carried my .45 condition three all day today in the belly band), belly bands are inexpensive, you could probably try it for a few days and if it doesn't work, you could just return it.
i ordered mine off the web, hmm, it's been a while, but i just searched for it under 'belly bands', compared the features and prices. i think i spent mebbe 23 bucks or something..
good luck!!

Thanks Fridge 21,

I'm going to give it a try.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

Back