Bell and Carlson Sporter Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP

USAF Ret

Anyone purchase and install a B&C Savage sporter stock on a Savage short action Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP?

The site says models 10 and 12. I already have the upgraded components for the aftermarket stock. It currently sits in a Boyds laminate. Beautiful stock, but makes the rifle a bit heavier than I care for.

I have a B&C for my HOWA 1500. Super light and it fits me perfectly.

Have you weighed the Boyd's stock? The B&C stock shows 2.25 lbs, that isn't what I'd consider a light weight stock. I'd think you could get close to that with a rasp and sand paper taken to the Boyd's stock.

That said, I have used B&C stocks on Remington rifles an they have all been serviceable stocks. They aren't as drop in as some of my other synthetic stocks. I do feel they are of decent value.

I used one on my 300 weatherby mag vanguard (same receiver as howa 1500) and like Taylor says it's not the same thing as a true ultralight like carbon fiber. Furthermore, I still needed to work it to get a good bedding, but I guess their "funky-syn-stuff" is a bit easier to work than hardwood. Just not my thing and I won't be getting another.

The B&C I have is on a Howa mini and that rifle is light. But just checked and Boyd's is about 2.5lbs as well. Just feels a heck of a lot heavier than that.

Not worth the money to change it out unless I can shave maybe a pound off of it.

Input is much appreciated.

I have a Christensen Mesa and an M700 Mountain Rifle and the weight of those rifles has totally ruined me.

You're not going to get a LIGHTER stock unless you spend around $700. Most factory stocks are around 2 lbs. Cheaper (sub $400) aftermarket stocks are 2-2 1/2 lbs, some of the Hogue stocks are 3 lbs. Most laminated stocks are 2 1/2-3 lbs.

B&C used to make a few that were a touch under 2 lbs, but they weren't available for every rifle.

Even the standard fiberglass stocks made by high end companies like McMillan, Brown Precision etc. will weigh 2lbs or a touch more. It is only when you get to the more expensive stocks made from kevlar do you really save weight. Most will be in the 22-24 oz range, but Brown Precision sells one that is 16 oz.

I have a couple of B&C stocks on 700s that had been housed in Boyd's. At least 8oz. lighter because Boyd's laminate has a lot of Epoxy. That aluminum bed and blocks shaved my groups to 1/2" in both 280 and 30-06.

USAF Ret said:
I have a Christensen Mesa and an M700 Mountain Rifle and the weight of those rifles has totally ruined me.

Well the main problem is you have a Savage! Believe me, I've messed with them enough to know they are tough to make light. Savage is making light weight rifles now and people like them. If you're going to pay over $1K for a Savage, you might as well buy a Tikka for $700.

I don't know what the deal is with Savage as well, I don't know of one company that currently makes a true light weight stock. McMillan will only use their Magnum Fill, that'll make the stock weigh close to 3 lbs if not more. Maybe MPI?

Well the main problem is you have a Savage! Believe me, I've messed with them enough to know they are tough to make light. Savage is making light weight rifles now and people like them. If you're going to pay over $1K for a Savage, you might as well buy a Tikka for $700.

I don't know what the deal is with Savage as well, I don't know of one company that currently makes a true light weight stock. McMillan will only use their Magnum Fill, that'll make the stock weigh close to 3 lbs if not more. Maybe MPI?
Truthfully, as a rifle I would probably sell it and get a Christensen. However, it has sentimental value. So, it is the one rifle I would not sell under any circumstances.

Back