Believe it or not the FN49 *IS* an assault rifle

Rusty S

Yes I know, apparently they must lobotomize anyone spending over a week in DC, but...

http://walnut.tmcom.com/~jlandry/firearms/FN49.html

Yes, it's meant to be a fixed magazine. No, a tool does not need to be used to disassemble it. That means that even if all the rounds fall out and the magazine disassembles itself on takedown, BATF claims it is a detachable magazine under the 1994 Omnibus crime act.

This was intended to answer Destruco6's question on FN49 legality in the locked thread.

--------------------
"Now every time I read the paper the same old feeling comes on, we're waist deep in the Big Muddy and the Big Fool says to press on."

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited January 16, 2000).]

I'm not questioning you nor the ATF's stupidity, but since there were 2 versions (magazine-wise) of the FN-49, one that took 20-rnd detachable mags and the original that had a fixed 10 round mag, could the AW apply only to the detachable Argentine version? I ask this because of the recent article in SGN about the different versions and whatnot of the FN-49.

I have been tempted to get an FN49 (Belgian, 8mm Mauser). A local shop has one for $445.

Two questions: is it reliable enough?
Since I will be shooting corrosive ammo, how easy is it to clean? What about the price: fair or high?

Back