Belgian Rolling Block Rifle?

elisivick

Inactive
Hi all,

I am trying to identify what type of rifle this is and locate a trigger guard for it. This was a friends great uncles and I cleaned it up and restored as best as I could. From the proof marks I think it is a Belgian "Perron" rolling block rifle but I an not an expert?

I have pictures but they are too large to post? Figured out how to get the resolution down. Pictures attached...

Attachments

• 20141222_155748_resized.jpg
    20141222_155748_resized.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 20141222_155805_resized.jpg
    20141222_155805_resized.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 20141222_155829_resized.jpg
    20141222_155829_resized.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Can you post more detailed pictures of the lock area, especially in open condition? And what caliber is the barrel? By first look it looks more like a Flobert - Warnant type mechanism than a rolling block.

Lock Area

Here is a picture of the lock area opened...

Also, the proof marks are Liege, Inspectors mark for firearms "Perron"

Attachments

• 20141222_172356_resized.jpg
    20141222_172356_resized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 171
as MAP indicated, it's likely most like a Flowbert, or possibly a Stevens Crack Shot...

is it 22 caliber ???

since you are asking specifically about the trigger guard, how about a pic where it attaches, with a tape measure along side ???

Not a .22

So I've posted two more pictures. One of the proof marks, the other of the trigger guard cutout...

Attachments

• Proof Marks.JPG
    Proof Marks.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20141222_202445_resized.jpg
    20141222_202445_resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 108
8 mm Flobert rifle with Warnant lock. If you can find ammo it probably cost more than the gun is worth. Hang on wall and enjoy.

Hey, thanks for the information. It was only meant to be a wall hanger. I cleaned it up for my buddy, just trying to locate the trigger guard and a little history.:D

Flobert guns were basically designed for percussion caps with a bullet on top, no or minimal powder charge. The original design had just a strong hammer spring, and the hammer served as "lock" on the end of the cartridge to provide the gas seal. Warnant introduced that intermediary transfer piece that held the cartridge in place, so I have to look up whether the rolling block of the lifting block came first. The most common calibers are 6 mm Flobert and 9 mm Flobert shot. The big danger with these guns is that they often can fit a 22 lr into the chamber, but the mechanism isn't nearly strong enough for that cartridge in the long run.
There's basically no chance to identify a maker or find spare parts on most of the Belgian guns (it's probably over 100 years old), so if you want a trigger guard you better start a little home smiting.

It is the "rolling block" version of Flobert.
The block and its pins are small and weak, it is no way comparable to even the smallest Remington Rolling Block.

The only source of a trigger guard I can think of would be from a junker Flobert in even worse shape.

Sears & Roebuck 1901 catalog says: "WE DO NOT RECOMMEND NOR GUARANTEE FLOBERT RIFLES. We recommend (stock numbers for) Peiper true rolling block or Stevens Crack Shot."

A type 2 Flobert, nothing backing up the case but a heavy hammer, but with an actual extractor not used on the type 1, was $1.60, the "Remington system" Flobert like the OP's was $2.25, the Warnant "trapdoor" Flobert was $2.60.

The stronger Peiper was $2.55 and the Stevens Crack Shot was $2.95.
A Remington No 6 was $3.75 and the least real Remington Rolling Block .22 was a whopping $5.00.

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone that took the time to answer my questions. I actually did find a trigger guard on Gunbroker, not sure it is correct but I can make it close enough for a display piece.

Back