Beirut Police and M-16s

Ned Roundtree

Okay, did this seem strange to anyone else. Russian embassy in Beirut,Lebanon attacked. Looking at news clips and AP photos, Lebanese police racing down the street with M-16s. I thought they were allies to Syrians. Syrians buddies with Russians. Am I confused or just not up to speed on the New World Order according to Clinton?

I may be wrong, but I think that you have Lebanon and Lybia confused. Lebanon was a traditional U.S. ally before it errupted in civil war.

I dont know about the above, but Ive a friend who returned from a "kibitz" and he tld me that israel is armed with m-16's and has packed away galil's----he claims the reason is that they can purchase m16's at a cheaper then the maintaining of the galil's.....fubsy. Kinda makes ya wonder about all of those non-civilian sales....lol....fubsy.

I wondered about the the israelis using M-16s also. I was watching a report on the holy lands on ABC, and all the pictures of israelis with guns showed israelis with M-16's. It comfused me, because I always assuemd that the israelis carried the Gailis.
I'm waiting for the Russians to realize that it is cheaper to buy M-16's from us, then for them to make thier AK's

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

An M16A1 is about a pound and half lighter than a Galil. Perhaps that's why the M16s are more popular than the Galils for day-to-day use.

Also, I'm sure that Israel gets the "preferred customer" price when buying M16s from Uncle Sam. I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting them for less than our cost.

The Isreali troops I have talked to said they like the M-16 better because of its weight and ergonomics. There are about 1/2 dozen other countries that make the M16 so, even anit-us can get them from non-Non US sources.

Fusby - I think you meant your friend returned from a "kibbutz" rather than a "kibitz." A kibbutz is a commune-kinda-thing. To kibitz is to give unwanted advice. I don't know your friend, but I imagine he was a kibbutzer rather than a kibitzer.

On Galil vs M16A2, I'd much rather have the former, since it's a Cadillac of battle rifles. It's built on the AK action, so it's reliable and has all sorts of nifty features such as built in bipod and tritium sights. I almost bought one back in '85 or so. I kick myself in the tuchas every time I think about that opportunity now gone...

Having spent time in Israel I know from being there that they carry both the galil and the m16's. Some people carry uzi's and some of the soldiers carry m1's. As for lebanon, beiruit used to be a huge tourist attraction and a very ritzy city, until they had the civil war. Now they have their own government, but I really think the president is a puppet of syria and the hezbollah are funded by the syrians or iranians.

It has been a long running joke in israel, that the israelis sell guns to the arabs. You might be laughing, but their mentality is (and being jewish flame me if you want) the arabs will get the weapons anyways, they figure they should get the money.

Not kidding!!

I spent some time in Isreal in the late 80's. They were arming thier police and support troops w/M-16s. The infantry still had the Galils.

It was pretty cool seeing the fuel truck driver that refueled our KC-130 (a really cute 21 year old Sabra) carrying an Uzi in the cab of her truck...

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Bruegger, i dont know who that fusby dude is but your right.....and tks I wasnt sure how to spell it.....

Im not sure how my friend knew this last part or if it is the commmon rumor, but he claims there purchasing the m-16's for a couple of buck's each, ----do you think that might be a lend lease or are we taxpayers picking up the difference....lol..fubsy.

Back