Beginning with a revolver in IDPA or USPSA.

BigDinOC

I have been away from handgun shooting for about 14 years now and I have recently got the itch to start shooting again. I have interest in IDPA / USPSA type of events. I am planning on purchasing a S&W 686, 6 shot with a 4" barrel in the near future. My question is am I starting out in the wrong direction with not going with a bottom feeder, is a revolver a bad choice for someone new to this type of shooting?

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you want to shoot USPSA/IDPA matches because you have a competitive streak in you, I’d suggest beginning with an auto. If you just want to have fun with your favorite wheel gun you’ll have a blast chasing the autos. If the stage is 17 rounds, you will have one more reload than all of the other classes (two with some of the USPSA classes). On the other hand you’ll likely be 1st SSR (1of1) at most clubs.

If shooting revolver is what you want to do then go for it . I shoot Revovler most of the time and love it you will be in the revolver class and will not have to worry about shooting against semi .Any one can shoot a bottom feeder :p

If you are buying a revo specifically for competition, get a Smith in .45 ACP, or get the 686 modified for clips. Moonclip reloads take less than half the time of "speed"-loader reloads, and you'll reload a lot in USPSA; most shooters come to the line with at least a dozen clips on their belt. For IDPA, you can use moons for ESR division, and speeloaders for SSR, so you'll have all the bases covered with a 625.

You are absolutely NOT handicapping yourself by shooting a revolver. If you prefer to shoot roundguns, then by god shoot one! You may have a little less competition at local matches, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

I started out shooting a Glock in USPSA and eventually IDPA, and I've now migrated to revolvers. I just like the wheelgun better. It's also nice to occasionally best a bottom feeder that has three times as many rounds in his gun than you!:D

Also, if you're moonclipping a 686 specifically for competition, it's a waste of money. In order to use moonclips in IDPA, you're in ESR division and you have to make Major power factor, which would require you to use some pretty hot .357 loads.

Reloading a moonclipped 45 with it's short, fat cases into big holes is considerably easier than the long, skinny .357 cases into small holes. Also, good quality .45 moonclips are easier to come by and cheaper than good quality .357 moonclips, and with the .357 ones you usually have to match the right clip to the brass you're using in order for them to be not too loose or too tight.

I'm getting a 625 for USPSA this coming week, but I've been using a S&W M14 with Safariland CompIII speedloaders, and I'm having a great time. I'll probably continue to use this setup mith my 3" M64 in IDPA this spring when matches start up again. The CompIII loaders are faster and easier to use than the CompIs or CompIIs, but they're all better than the HKS "slowloaders".:barf:

As others have said, the 625 is the way to go. If you already had the 686, I would say shoot it and have fun, but since you are on here asking for info so you only "buy once, cry once"....

I'm a .45 kind of guy, I have a 625, SA1911, G21, XD45 TAC. I shoot them all in competition, but the 625 gets the most use by far, second is the 1911. I crank out lots of ammo on the Dillon and whatever iron I decide to shoot, I'm ready because it will fit them all.

I load up 200 rounds in moonclips before I leave the house, I usually don't have to load anymore for the whole match. I do take a de-mooner and a box or two of extra ammo just in case. Its easy to pick up the clipped brass. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Here's another thought for you...

I just made a deal on a lightly used 625, fully tricked out for competition by a master revolversmith and competitor. With a kydex holster, a North Mountain moonclip holder, and a ton of moonclips, it's all costing me under $1000. Try financing a USPSA limited gun for that. $1000 won't even buy you half of an STI, let alone paying $100 or more each for the minimum 7 or 8 tuned mags you'll need, $200 or so for your speed holster, $30 each for all those mag holders, and then paying a gunsmith for making it run reliably.

Some of the guys I shoot with have more than the value of my car hanging around their waists, and it feels really good to beat them!

Well you convinced me to go with the 625. Now I just have to find one. I have been all over the phone today trying to locate one so that I could handle it to see how it fits my hand.

Thanks for all of the input.

If your going to buy a new one, you will have to go with the 625JM I believe. IDPA rules require a 4" or shorter barrel and I think the JM is the only one they make now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For ISPC/USPSA you can go with the 5" barrel. I shoot both, so I went with a 4".

Even then, you can just modify the gun slightly. I have small hands, and with a pair of round-butt Ahrends grips I have no problems. I actually got out and shot it for the first time today, and I affirmed what it's builder told me, that the action is so light that it is a "Federal primers only" gun. But damn, it's a sweet shooter!:D

fun

I have used HKS speedloaders with 5.5" Ruger Redhawks chambered for 41 and 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt.
I also use a 7.5" 357 Magnum-chambered Redhawk (actually, my fav).
All are drawn from a Sparks HSR.

I also have used two 4" 357 Magnum GP100s, drawn from an (old) Ernie Hill.

Fun.
But I never 'win'.

Back