Beginners Gun Advice

nidhoggr

Inactive
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a first timer? I have very little experience with any type of firearms. I have smaller hands and I'm a medium build. I was looking at .38 revolvers or 9mm pistols with a price range up to $500. I would primarily being using it for self-defense purposes eventually aiming for a concealed carry for the firearm. Any recommendations or assistance would be appreciated.

Welcome

Welcome! Boy are you asking for a confusing mess. Go to a gun show and/or a rental range. Put hands on lots, and reduce your list by what feels right. I would suggest something with adjustable sights, and if an automatic, something you can rack well. You don't need to go too small to conceal really. You can't really go too wrong with revolvers as an option. Revolvers make great 1st guns, but you might gain a disdain for autos if you start there and vice versa.

In that price range I would suggest a Witness Poly Carry. They can be had new less than $350. Someone will come along soon to suggest a S&W and someone else will come along and suggest things outside your price range.

If you are a lefty, I change my answer to Bersa Thunder UC Pro.

Welcome to the forum ! !

I would respectfully advise anyone, new to firearms, to delay chosing a particular gun until after they have some experience - because what's good for seasoned shooters may not be good for YOU.

There are a few options you can chose from to get some experience/trigger-time:

*Contact your state's Fish & Game Dept (or whatever it's called in your state), and enrol (free) in their Hunter Safety course, even if you don't intend to hunt.
The course will teach you about different type firearms, AND how to safely handle them, if not shoot with some, too.

*Contact a gun club in your area, or a gun club member - Most clubs will be happy to show someone the ropes.
(every state has a listing of gun clubs available - contact your state's Attorney's General for guidance)

*Talk to older gunsmiths and/or small gunshop owners about your intentions & choices - they afford an excellent opportunity for a hands-on show-'n-tell.

*Learn to walk, before attempting to run. :p

Last edited:
Yes, welcome to the Forum. In addition to what the others have said, I would recommend learning to shoot with a 22. The ammunition is cheap, the lack of recoil makes for comfortable shooting and that encourages practice. See if any of the gun shops/ranges or gun clubs in your area have any sort of beginner's programs, perhaps find an NRA Instructor. And yes, Try Before You Buy. Fit on a handgun is just as important as for a shotgun. Or a pair of shoes.

Welcome.
Did you just ask what gun you should buy for dealing with potentially deadly encounters, with no training or experience for it?
Come on, now, be realistic.
Self defense, and carrying a gun for it, is serious business.
If that truly is your intention, put off buying anything until you've had at least a couple of levels of training on the subject.
Had you asked what gun to buy for plinking and target shooting, that would have been different.

I'd give strong consideration to the polymer frame single-stack "wonder-nines"... S&W Shield if you want a lever safety, Walther PPS or Kahr CW9 if you don't... They're all reliable, nearly the same size/weight, relatively small and slim for a smallish hand, and conceal well... (but they're not TOO small).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...180051+M&P+Shield+*Ma+Approved*+9mm+3.1"+8+1+

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/49846

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+1+Round+9MM+w3.5"+BarrelPolymer+Frame+&+Stai

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a first timer? I have very little experience with any type of firearms. I have smaller hands and I'm a medium build. I was looking at .38 revolvers or 9mm pistols with a price range up to $500. I would primarily being using it for self-defense purposes eventually aiming for a concealed carry for the firearm. Any recommendations or assistance would be appreciated.

Welcome. Always good to have a new guy around. Search is your friend. The word beginner will get you pages of threads where we all have posted all of our knowledge and a few guesses.

Both are fine. My recommendation is that you will learn alot with your first choice, but in the end, it will likely be wrong for you in the long run.

I would recommend a Glock 19. It will be incredibly reliable. Most people like them. It is possible to CCW the gun comfortably for most people.

BUT, If you were a close friend, I would likely try to sway you toward an XDM 9. It is a similar size, but IMO, has a better trigger, is safer with the grip safety, and has better stock sights.

The 38 spec revolver is a nice gun. Something in a nice fixed sight 3" S&W K frame. . . .The problem is this would likely be a used gun.

My story: I studied for like a year and decided I need a Taurus PT-101. It was great, well sort of. . .Actually, I learned how meaningless fixed sights are on a combat auto. Also, the white dot was off center in the front sight. So much for Taurus quality. Then a while later, I found 1911's. . .After some pain, I realized I love the platform, but hate the low end crap guns. I also had to buy a Glock 21 and finally admit that in a good holster, they are not a bad gun. Can't forget the joy of owning some XD's and a S&W 19 as well as a few other fine pistols.:cool:

Thanks

I'll definitely look into training before acquiring anything. I should have also included I was also looking to train with the gun before hand as well. My apologies for not adequately giving all the information. I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to giving you all an update.

I'll definitely look into training before acquiring anything

Good deal.

I remember learning on a Ruger 22. Not having any safety training yet, I scared my GF when I 'swept' her with it at home, despite it being unloaded. I took a training class soon afterward.

The best advice I can offer is to handle, and shoot (if possible at a rental range) as many as possible before making your decision, and after learning the basic rules of firearm safety and basic gun functions.

There are a myriad of things you can only learn from shooting them.

nidhoggr -- fwiw from a 65+ y/o, many of us "old guys" started out with a single shot 22 cal rifle, Savage, Winchester, etc. When a dad or uncle came along with a new rifle with a 5 round mag we thought we'd died and gone to heaven --- coooool. Point being we learned about firearms (safety, accuracy, function) on 22's. Just me, but I'd recommend you pick up a Buck Mark, Ruger, etc in 22. Also, the 22 semi auto is fun to shoot ! Work yourself up to 9 mm, 45 acp etc.

David :)

Just me, but I'd recommend you pick up a Buck Mark, Ruger, etc in 22. Also, the 22 semi auto is fun to shoot ! Work yourself up to 9 mm, 45 acp etc.

Agreed. Get a 22LR and get to shooting. Take some classes to learn the basics and understand the weapon. From there, you will learn what you want to look for in a firearm. I like Ruger myself, but I've heard good things about the buckmark.

I'm also going to advise finding a range with a rental case and trying a variety of different styles to get a hands on look at what grips and ergo styles you find comfortable.

If at all possible though, try and find a class and/or friend(s) to introduce you to basic fundamentals of stance, grip, and safe firearm handling first. It's hard to know what you shoot well if you don't have a feel for how to stand and hold the weapon properly.

As far as particular weapon recommendations, based on your $500 indicated budget, the M&P Shield by Smith & Wesson is the first that jumps to mind (currently $450 @ the LGS I work at). It is a bit on the small side for a new shooter, but its easy to control, reliable, and works very well for concealed carry.

You may be tempted by the smaller "pocket" 9mm available, however I would recommend avoiding them until you are a relatively experienced shooter. They are not at all friendly to new shooters: they are difficult to control, the recoil is brutal, and they are not the least bit enjoyable to practice with. Regular practice is critical, so you need a gun you will be able to enjoy taking to the range. For a first handgun, a 9mm compact is the way to go. A Glock 19 or 26, S&W SD9, M&P compact, and CZ 75 compact are some examples in or close to your price range.

shield is a great first in your price range. its easy since its on the M&P platform. cleaning and taking apart is simple. price is good, can be had for $400-$475. lots of good accessories. for CC i use a alien gear IWB holster. they are great for $37.

def look into the shield 9mm. i have one in .40 and its amazing

welcome to The Firing Line!

Welcome! In addition to what has already been said, I would recommend that before you go to buy anything, that you familiarize yourself with Federal, State, and local laws.

There are a great many things that can disqualify, restrict, or regulate your ownership. Especially ownership of a handgun.

Everyone lives under the Federal rules, but some states have extensive permit requirements (fingerprints, photos, character references, detailed background checks, etc.,) while others do not.

There is a lot to learn to be able to do what you want to do, and be able to enjoy it, BUT, you don't have to learn it all in one bite. What you do need to learn is both the basic safety rules for gunhandling, and the legal framework you are living in, before you go further.

For example, to meet the Fed requirement to buy a handgun, from a Federal Firearms Dealer (any shop/store that sells guns has a federal firearms license FFL), you need to be 21, and have a clean record.

If you meet that, then we can go further.

If you don't meet that, you may be a prohibited person, or you may be in a category where exceptions apply. Since we know nothing of your personal situation, other than you are new to the subject, I can't give any more specific advice.

Good Luck, and let us know how we may assist you further.

Welcome to TFL, and welcome to an enjoyable hobby of shooting.

A .38 revolver or a 9 mm pistol is a good starting point. A lot of folks have recommended a .22LR, and while agree that it is a great way to learn, a first pistol is, at least for a while, the only pistol, and starting with a caliber that is more effective than .22 is wise.

Revolvers these days are a little more expensive than a pistol of similar quality, so with a budget of $500 you might be looking at the used rack for revolvers.

The first thing you should do is learn gun safety. The second thing is to go shooting with someone who will keep the safety rules in front of you - whether this is an instructor of a class or a friend who shoots a good bit is immaterial.

Rentals, classes, and generous friends (and most people who enjoy shooting are generous in talking with you about their guns and letting you handle and shoot them) will be a way to familiarize yourself with handguns enough for you to start to know what you want. Every handgun on the market has at least some buyers. Finding out our preferences won't help you nearly as much as understanding the reasons we have for our preferences. What you have to do is learn about the different features available, then start looking for handguns that have the combination of features that you favor.

Welcome ...!

And you're smart to start looking at .38's and 9mm's.....but within those 2 calibers....there are so many derivations on size of grip, grip angle, width, weight, etc....to make a recommendation.

Go to a range that holds some intro classes....my range has an intro 4 hour class for $ 90 ...and they provide all the guns and ammo. Its a combination of classroom and range time...and its a good intro / a lot of us as experienced shooters...help out the instructors as extra eyes and assistance on the firing line.

Then go to a range ...maybe the same one ....that rents guns ...pay the fee to rent all 9mm's....and buy 3 or 4 boxes of ammo / and shoot literally every 9mm in the case. Dry fire each gun a little - and then put 5 or 6 rounds thru each gun ...and then make notes on it ...too heavy, too wide, bad sights, hated the trigger because it was a long pull...or whatever.....and out of that, a couple of mfg's will pop out ...and you'll figure out what you like / and probably figure out what you can afford.

Talk to as many shooters as you can ....find out ...what they bought, why, would they buy it again, and why..../ maybe put a few rounds thru their guns if they have something that is not in the rental gun case. If you're pleasant and curious on the range ...talk to guys ..

was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a first timer? I have very little experience with any type of firearms. I have smaller hands and I'm a medium build. I was looking at .38 revolvers or 9mm pistols with a price range up to $500. I would primarily being using it for self-defense purposes eventually aiming for a concealed carry for the firearm. Any recommendations or assistance would be appreciated.

"Buy a Glock and be done with it"

Back