Beginner,rifle,scope,hogs,opinions,questions,etc.

SIGarmed

I'm not a hunter......yet. I have a hunter freind who is interested in shooting hogs in CA and I'm invited. I'm not a stranger to firearms or the bush,but I still have many questions.
Here's my scenerio.
I want a sniper type rifle and I've been contemplating a Remington 700 LTR in .308 to have fun with. I never had thoughts of using it for hunting hogs until now.
Well I'm thinking that if I join the hunt I'm at least going to need a .308 and that LTR would come in handy. Is the 20 inch barrel a good choice,and why wouldn't this be a good choice? I'm thinking 180 grain noslers.
From what I've been told the range on a hog around the selected hunting area probably won't go beyond 200 yards. What would you think about 2x-4x aimpoint red dot scope on a LTR for hog duty? Would this work well? I'm still going to buy a conventional scope,but I thought that a red dot for this duty would be helpful.

Well, no flies on the LTR. The short barrel would make it handy in the brush.

A 180-grain bullet oughta work just fine.

I've never used any Aimpoint; just read about them. Is this 2X-4X a variable? Anyhow, even 2X oughta be sufficient magnification...

I've carried a 26" barrelled '06, of 9-1/4 pounds "wet weight" since way back yonder; it worked fine as my all-around hunting rifle...

FWIW, Art

The LTR may be on my list of rifles soon. I don't have much experiance with red dot sights - prefer glass. I do like the .308 and the load you mention is a great one.

I'd grab the LTR and use a set of Leupold QD bases and rings. You then have the option of switching sights as you need.

Giz

Back