beginner: HK USP vs Beretta vs Glock17

Status
Not open for further replies.

hologon

I'm very new to this whole handgun shooting thing (300 rounds of 9mm, 100 rounds of .22, and maybe 20 rounds of .38spl), but I love it already.

I've shot 9mm in the Glock 17 and the Beretta Cougar, and to my dismay, I really didn't like the Glock's handling. Somehow my small hands and small frame (5'6", 140lbs) make it a pain to control -- not to mention the small slide stop never seems to catch right.

In particular, I don't like the grips. The recoil flip feels like it keeps jumping out of my hands, especially when they're sweaty. (Probably in the order of 30deg of flip... way too much.)

I also seem to limp wrist it. Ugh.

Then I shot the Beretta Cougar with their revolving barrel trick. My, what a difference! The grips feel better, the recoil is much more controlled, and 50 rounds really was just plain fun. It's a pussycat gun and it feels almost like a .22 to me. Almost no recoil flip, and my hands don't hurt.

So I handled the USP 9mm -- wow! What a joy! Everything else balances perfectly -- kind of just sits right. Almost as nice as the sig 226 (but the 226 also is $150 more). The problem is that my local range doesn't have one to rent, and being in NJ, I don't have much choice (i.e. the next closest range with rentals is something like 1.5 hrs away).

So my question is this: How is the actual shooting handling of the USP 9 vs the Glock and the Beretta?

Some people here say that the recoil is similar to the Glock and the trigger is really bad, but I dry-fired the USP, Glock, and P226 at the store, and the glock had a creepy trigger, the 226 had a gritty one, and the USP had the only long-draw clean-break one (these were all new).

Is that true while firing, or is it a different story?

Thanks!

-jon

I have a 40 USP compact that I love. Memebers of SEAL team 1 that I know love them too. Very accurate and about the toughest production gun around. Go for it.

Ben

My humble opinion,
Shop around, the 226 shouldn't be $150 more than a USP. The USP trigger is not that bad, the Sig, though, is usually better. Its all about what feels right to you. Watch the net, visit Gunsamerica, ect., to learn what the price levels should be and if you would love to have one, get it. Buy it at a local shop if you can. If it is a quality gun and you have done your homework on price you can't get into very much trouble. If you end up hating it or just grow out of the gun, you can sell it and not lose a tremendous amount. You will probably end up with more than one. Most of us have removed the "probably" from the above statement, many times over.

Have fun.
Willy

Berettas are good, but try not to get 92 series. Even though they are exellent guns, they are too big for small hands. If you are looking for those brand names, go with the Sig. If not, try Daewoo DP51, eventhough it is not a popular gun, it has small grip(probably it is because the gun is from Korea) ,reliable,light weight, and accurate enough.

The USP should have lower recoil than the Beretta and Glock. The recoil spring in the USP works pretty well. However, you may want to take my statements with a grain of salt since I haven't actually shot any of these guns in 9mm. However, I do have a USP in .45acp and find its recoil to be lighter than other guns in .45. Its also been completely reliable with out one stoppage in the 2500 some rounds(fmj, jhp, swc), I have put through it.

Glock is good, Beretta is betta' !
I have shot both Glock and Beretta. The Beretta has a better feel than the Glock, IMO. I felt just a little nervous shooting the Glock, because when your hands get sweaty
it feels like it's going to pop right out of your hands with each shot. The Beretta is much better balanced also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back