beginner gun for IDPA?

grngables

Inactive
I'm interested in purchasing a gun for IDPA and general target shooting. I do not own a handgun yet. I checked out the SA xd line, and the Sig classic full size line, both fit my hand well. Any recommendations would be appreciated since I have no experience in IDPA or with a previous handgun.

Which or what

Ever you purchase, 9MM or larger has a classification in which you can shoot. Need a good holster, substantual belt, two mag' pouches and 4/5 mag's and about 150 rounds of decent ammo. Go, let them know you are new and have fun. Be safe, take your time and learn. Get some 7 and 10 yard practice, if you can, prior to a match and get very familular with your handgun, finger out of trigger until on target and ready to fire. Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
I shoot and enjoy the CZ 75B (mine are 9mm). I have several and find that each one of them shot dead on right out of the box. I also find, as many others have, that the ergonomics of the gun make it very comfortable to point. The additional advantage is that it does NOT have a decocker so the gun can be shot in SSP and ESP divisions.

The most popular handgun in IDPA is either the Glock 34 or a 1911 variant (or rather, all of them added together). Of these two, the Glock is a better choice for a first-time shooter. Your goal for now should be to find someplace to rent or borrow a variety of guns to shoot to try them out.

The XD is a bad idea since it will be classed in ESP as it is considered single action. Nothing against the XD but running with 9mm 1911's can be hard. IDPA kinda shanked that gun with the rules IMHO.

It's really hard to neat a Glock or 1911 for IDPA, but the CZ and SIG also work well. Look at the rulebook and tailor the gun to the division(s) you wish to shoot.

Hmmm, previous threads have apparently not been sufficiently informative.
OK, I will be blunt.
I have seen a few people start out IDPA with an XD. I have not seen anybody stay with it for any length of time.
Get the P226.
If you find it difficult to progress with, set it back as a reliable home defense weapon and buy a 1911 or Glock like most other competitive shooters.

Get the P226.
If you find it difficult to progress with, set it back as a reliable home defense weapon and buy a 1911 or Glock like most other competitive shooters.

Excellent advice.

Glock

Most people that I see end up fighting or second guessing sigs for the game. I'm a 1911 guy but would suggest a glock 9mm for a newbie. And yes the rules DO hose the xd's otherwise it would be at the top of my newbie/IDPA gun. good luck

Best bet for any game gun is to read the rules of the game, and pick a gun that is legal and appropriate for one of the classes. Sounds kind of obvious, but it is fairly simple to buy a gun, only to find that it is not allowed for any class. For instance, it happens that I don't own a gun that is legal for any class in IDPA yet. You don't need a supergun to get into the game, but you do need a gun that is ALLOWED.

Best bet is to pick a gun/caliber combination that a) you like, and b) is specifically allowed in a class by name.

As MUCH as I would LOVEEEE to disagree with Jim Watson and Lycanthrope...And as much as I hate ANYTHING that has Glock on it (Except for the model 20!) I gotta agree with what they posted...

1911's and Glocks (9mm's) are just about your best bet...

Yes the XD got hosed...And I truly hate that...

The XD would give the Glockers some serious headaches! :cool:

I have a different outlook and opinion.

Since you don't own a handgun yet. And since the first handgun that you purchase may also have to be your carry gun / home defense gun, buy a gun of a minimum caliber 9mm/38spc. Buy a holster, three mags total, and at least one mag pouch, or, like my buddy that refuses to carry a mag pouch, stick your mags in your pockets, or bring a 4" barrelled revolver and stick a handfull of cartridges in your pocket. Take this setup to the match and wring it out good, don't worry about your score/time. Work on your defensive shooting skills and VERY IMPORTANT safe gun handling in stressfull situations.

If you decide that you want to do more than hone your defensive pistol skills....like say you want to win from time to time. Then buy yourself a "game gun" that you believe fits you best, solves your problems, and gives YOU the most advantages within the game rules.

I love for people to show up with their "nightstand" gun and work it out. Most people only shoot a box of ammo at a time several times a year. A 100 rounds of rapid fire goes a long ways towards showing the deficiencies or usage challenges of their chosen weapon. I typically go out of my way to show these people how to use their chosen weapon as effectively as possible as a fight stopper.

I believe that is the true "spirit of the game" that we call IDPA. I hope that the rest of you would encourage the same thing because I think that THAT will bring the most newcomers to the sport and provide a great service to those that choose to use a handgun for self defense.

Bear in mind that IDPA/IPSC are just games, not training. If you do not reload then a 9mm is the way to go. Competition brings out the best and worst in equipment. The guns that are the easiest to shoot fast and accurately are the ones that win matches. 99.9% of the IDPA Class winners use either a 1911 in 9mm, .40 or .45ACP or a Glock in 9mm or .40.
The best buy is a G17 followed by a G34. The most versatile is either a G22 or G35. The .40 Glocks can be shot in IPSC Production, Limited 10 or Limited, in IDPA SSP or ESP.
The Sigs, while decent guns, are more difficult to shoot fast. Their high bore axis causes more muzzle flip than a Glock has.

A Glock 19

For starters I'd suggest you get a pistol that has the same trigger action on each shot. You have enough to deal with right now - you can learn to shoot a SA/DA later if you want.

So, your choices could be as simple as an XD, Glock, 1911, or a revolver. I'd suggest you buy a pistol that fires cheap ammo and has a good selection of holsters and accessories.

The XD in 9mm would be a great choice although you might not be competitive in contests right away. Still a good choice for PDW. Remember, IDPA's rules only apply at their matches.

Revolvers, while excellent weapons, probably wouldn't satisfy you right now.

1911's are great pistols but are best in their original 45acp, which is expensive relative to 9mm, and in 9mm form can be finicky. In any caliber they're expensive, either up front or after mods. Get a good 1911 when you're ready to shoot 45's. Then consider reloading too.

That leaves Glocks. My suggestion would be either the model 17 or 19. Ammo is cheap, holsters cheap and abundant, ditto for magazines. If I HAD to choose it would be a Model 19.

That said, I shoot a 45acp 1911, never won much at big matches, but I have been playing IDPA for a long time and I have seen many new shooters and introduced quite a few new shooters to shooting and to IDPA.

YMMV. Just my 2 cents. For free!

jeff

Back