before buying Charter Arms--Read this!!!

Dick, it sounds like you got dorked good. Sorry. Why don't you try to contact the president of the company? A certified return receipt letter might help.

Has anybody else had any repair experience with Charter Arms ???

Raider

At one point years ago they made a reasonably priced, reliable, ugly, revolver. They are still ugly, cheap, but not in any sense reliable.

I remember one of the first undercovers- the first year they came out-before any other models. It had the grips made from the famou Charter Oak which had recently keeled over. At the time, this was advertised as the smallest .38 snub in existance and, being smaller than either the Smith J or the Cold D, it probably earned the title.

This one would misfire consistently on one chamber and the theory was that that one was contersunk too deep. Others, I've seen since have been in various stages of not working right. I do recall a .44 bulldog from the first run that functioned properly.

Charter .44

Apparently Berkowitz didn't have any quality control problems with his Charter Bulldog. But you can ask him if you want, he has his own website.

I believe that their ads back then said that they were the lightest all steel framed .38 snubs on the market. They did have a steel frame but the grip sub frame assembly was alloy. For the money that you spent they were decent inexpensive guns.

7th

Hi, Dick,

I confess to some puzzlement. You went to all that trouble based on your idea that some x amount of play was too much. I know nothing about that rifle, but in some rifles, play in parts is normal. Did you ever shoot it or even have anyone with experience look at it?

Just curious.

Jim

well, not the exact SAME one he had

You mean the one that Son of Sam had???"

This was a pre-Berkowitz revolver- a real early one. It worked ok. Kicked like the very devil with 7.5 unique and a keith bullet.(not a load recommendation.)

Back