Been a while, folks

Doc Hoy

Came up with a Smith and Wesson K frame in .38 Special. Serial number is D8048XX. I think that puts it in 1950 or 1951.

Six inch barrel, excellent condition. Finish is a nearly perfect as I am able to detect. After Market grips in some natural material (Not Ivory).

Photos soon.

May question is, can anyone confirm the date of manuf. from the serial?

Hmmm

Okay,

Thanks for the wink back. Here are photos. The grips, as you can see do not have the striations peculiar to elk. The cross section visible from the butt clearly shows that the material is very porous on the interior but very smooth on the surface.

Attachments

• S&W a.jpg
    S&W a.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 108
  • S&W b.jpg
    S&W b.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The serial number tracks to the 75-76 range in the Standard Catalog of S&W.

open the cylinder and look at the frame, it will most likely say Mod 10-5.

It may be the light in the pictures but the gun seems to have a "richer" blue than usual, this could just be the picture or it might indicate a reblue.

If the gun was reblued by S&W the grip frame will probably be marked with a "star" and maybe the letter "B" indicating reblue. Sometimes the star (indicating factory rework) is on the grip frame bottom and the B (if present) would be underneath the grip.

S&W stopped marking reworks that way but I don't know exactly when, but a gun factory reworked in 2013 didn't get those markings.

The grips appear to be stag, polished to look like bone, and seem well fitted.

Someone put some work into them.

Very nice .38. Congratulations!

Back